Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-27-2010   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
FIBArk Pine Creek - keep it the same or change it?

Hey Boaters,

FIBArk wants your input! We are considering changing the Pine Creek Boater X race from a 4 person boater cross to a time trial. We'd love your feedback on how to make this a better race.

The Pine Creek Boater X is the most expensive race of FIBArk. Each year (for the last 5 years) the competitor numbers have dropped. We would love to keep this event alive, but we need your help to make it a viable event.

Thanks for your help,
FIBArk Mark

coloradokrasnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
As a spectator I would not go to see people run 1 at a time down that rapid. I would also pay a modest fee <$5 to go towards a bigger purse to draw a bigger field.

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #3
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
The # of boaters would increase greatly if the race was held during the weekend. Why has the boater-X been held on weekday prior to the influx of the weekend warriors...A prize purse for the boater-x on Saturday would be more logical...
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Move it to the weekend! This is the event that everyone wants to watch. You would probably get more competitors too. There are at least a few weekend warriors that would give it a go.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
More boaters per heat... to bad lake is roaring around that time.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Hey Mark,
I personally think that the race format is fine. When numerous pro paddlers tell me year after year that this is the coolest and stoutest race out there, I think that that says it all. If it just went to time trials I think it would lose its spectator appeal, and would probably ruin what this race has stood for since its inception.

It sounds like this really isn't an issue about the format, but a problem with funding the race. Every year it seems that FIBArk is hoping that enough competitors will show up to offset the cost of the race. It will probably never happen this way. And I think that this is the wrong way to look at finding ways to offset the costs of the race. If you lower the bar and make the race only a time trial race you might gain 5 to 10 more competitors, but in doing so you will ruin the race, and you still run the risk of not getting enough competitors to enter.

My advice would be to find a sponsor that is willing to front more cash, instead of the typical advertising trade that happens every year. I know that the kayaking industry is cash poor, so I understand that this solution will also be a bit more difficult... but I would try this idea first, rather than altering the race format. Getting a bigger cash sponsorship for this event might also allow you to drop the entry fee a bit more and entice more paddlers to race. The kayakers that have big enough balls to race generally are the ones who don't want to spend (or simply can't spend) $50 ($60?) to enter this race.

As others have noted a weekend start time could help as well.

If the race format does change I will personally be quite sad, and severely disappointed. Please do take note that I understand the difficulty FIBArk has had in keeping this race alive and that all of you wonderful FIBArk folks have done an AMAZING job in keeping this race going since Hixon and I first started it.

Feel free to contact me directly (970-485-1924) if you want to talk more about this. I have a few more ideas bouncing around in my head.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #7
4 boaters start on a wood ramp and seal launch right into the hole. First one out wins....
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #8
It will be the end of the event if it goes to time trials. Boater x is what makes the event appealing. If it is possible to move it to a weekend you can get more Colorado boaters to show up and race, but most can't make a Thursday event.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #9
Bozeman, Montana
Best race hands down is narrows boatercross.. huge spectator appeal, free entry, garanteed carnage, a long race, plus semis, loser bracket, and finals, lots of Action! For free. Straight up soulful Kayaking. You may get boofed on you may do the boofing.. I'm not paying to drive and have to pay to enter a race which doesn't even compare to gore race.. need stoutr coarse.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #10
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Mark, check your messages on here and call me. Mike

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, boater cross, competition, fibark