Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-27-2010   #11
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Another vote for the weekend or at least Friday. And keep it Boater X. Time trail would be super lame.

If Bank competes then you should be able to charge all the ladies that will come to watch.

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #12
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
The event dies if it goes to time trials because the coarse isn't interesting, the boatercross is. There are 10 better time trial events in Colorado already. It should definitely be on a weekend. $60 is nuts - that might be the most expensive entry in Colorado. There has to be a better way to fund it or reduce overhead.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #13
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I agree that entry needs to be cheaper, and it needs to be on the weekend. Entries would increase and there would be more spectators= win, win!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #14
dark center, of the universe
As stated before- Move it to Saturday

Perhaps a spectator bus or two? leaving downtown Salida an hour before, $ 10 bucks gets you a DD to and from the event and a riverside drink (have a New Belgium beer tent up there if permits, officials, etc ..uh..permit it). I would pay 10 bucks for a ride to watch and for a beer to drink there.

Use that $$$ to offset the entry fee.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #15
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
While a weekend might draw more weekend warriors, keep in mind that a lot of the pros that race are also trying to compete in the freestyle, and the closer the race is to the freestyle, the more likely they are to just skip the race in order to get more practice or conserve energy.

Also it was expensive. We should all get tons of prizes and not have to pay any entry fees. Free candy for everyone!
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #16
I know towns like Salida are full of fund raisers and a certain amount of fatigue sets in, but have you thought of something like that? How much does it cost to put the event on?
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #17
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
you know, BV has a better playwave than salida anyhow. why don't we just move FIBArk to BV,, then race could be sat, pros could easily hit piney and still play; and still hit lake &/or clear ck.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #18
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
FIBArk to BV!!!
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #19
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
More $$$$

Weekend for sure.

Take some of the cash purse away from the Freestyle Event and move it over to the Boater Cross. The Pro's are going to do the Freestyle anyway (Just for the exposure alone.) and the money could be better used.

Even on Class V the Boater Cross is still easier for the average guy/ gal to compete with the Pro's. It's moving water and anything can happen.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #20
The next zone, .
It will have to stay the same if you want to keep it what it is - the best kayak race in colorado..

Somethin to think about is that saliva does not want to give up any of the weekend crowd to the upper valley on the weekend so it will have to stay on a thurs/fri as not to compete with the other events at FIBARK.....

Heats of 4-5 work best for the spectators and well maybe not best for the athletes but it is a helluva a show!

Agreed that if you change the format to timed it will die.. I wont even go up there and watch timed heats..

So my vote is to stick with the way it is now and as marco said find a sponsor so that it is not $60 to enter...

Now since it is the best race in colorado time to talk some smack .. Or to put in another way for the few of you who seem think you got what it takes to excel in this race.... Well fair to say most boaters have no idea what it takes - even make the finals..

While you boys may do fine in the low water pooooder grind fest it would be best if you boys stay home for the piney race and let the big boys handle it... In fact for our friend from wyo - I got a brand new $100 and will pay your entry if you can even make finals... Yep and I know my $ is safe....

All kiddin aside it is a great race - keep it how it is and while moving it to the weekend would make the race better I doubt it will work for fibark as a whole.. One rule change that I feel would help make the race better is to limit the paddle size to 200 cm. A 212 stick will make as big of a difference in this race as a green boat will....

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, boater cross, competition, fibark