Old 09-07-2005   #1
Favorite Grand canyon off/river hike?

Doing a grand trip soon and there are so many great side hikes. My first trip we did a lot of them, Silver Grotto was one of my favorites, especially the part where I was the only one who could slither up the falls to the next level and tie off a rope.

We did what I think are the "standard" hikes. Havasu, Tapeats/Thunder River/up and over, Deer Creek, Elves, Matkat, Kanab, Nautaloid, Nankoweap, Olo,...cant remember.

So does anyone care to share a favorite Grand Canyon spot or reccomend a good side hike? I would sure appreciate some new spots to check out this trip and I plan to explore some new canyons rather than do the same ones again.

PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #2
stone creek

wrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #3
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
It's been a little while but Olo canyon river left i think just after the 20's is sweet. The first lip is a little hard but once you are up by far one of the coolest side canyons in the big ditch.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #4
Systems & Process Design, Colorado
Thunder River
Elves Chasm
alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #5
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
GC Hikes

Matkatamiba - (love the stone features with the trickle of water ...)
and a second vote for Blacktail
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #6
I believe it was South Canyon in Marble canyon (not sure the miles) great hike to a limestone slot and a cool waterfall. I also know the best hike on the planet (and the grand) but you would have to invite me so I could show you in person.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #7
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
just be careful where you place your hands and feet in that canyon.... yikes!
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #8
rattle snakes are everywhere though. I nearly stepped on two and was very close to a few others this summer on the Poudre Canyon. I am a raft guide and walk along the shore more than others bt those pictures were really scary when I think back on a few instances. I nearly stepped on one last summer as well.

Back on topic I know lots of cool stuff about the canyon that I will only tell you if you take me along. jk
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #9
Can't remember what its called, but there is a nice hike on river right just above House Rock rapid. I don't think you have this listed above...

rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #10
Paddling Since: 1994
the emminence break trail is kinda cool, though its not wet nor is it a slot. it is on river left a little after president harding. it is fairly steep at first and gets you up to some sweet views real quick. depending on how much time you have i think it even rims out.

careful if you venture into the cave at thunder. i got reports that the flow has increased and made it a lil sketch.

i hiked up most canyons that we camped at. many I renamed "hot dry bastard" canyon. of course i was there in july.

national comes to mind. dont remember if it is one that I renamed, but there were a million of those tiny little frogs in there.

if you didnt do it last time dont be discouraged to hike all the way to mooney and havasu. it says 6 miles but doesnt seem that far. a couple of us hiked there and back in just a few hours. and once you get in a couple miles the crowds are gone.

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote