Old 07-07-2010   #1
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Fall Boating in SW Colorado???

I'm in the middle of a decision on where the hell to move to after August/when the water really drops here in BV. I've been considering Durango and Gunnison/CB. I'll be leaving right as the winter really gets good, so snow really isn't top priority for me. I'd rather be in a place where I can boat for a bit longer and get after some other fun activities for fall/early winter. Oh and a college near by is key too...

I've heard you can chase some rain storms for some creek runs fall time in the Durango area. It could have been someone blowing smoke up my ass, but i'd like to think it's got some truth to it. Other wise, do you guys and gals know of other runs that go for awhile in that area? I've got a creeker and a playboat and would like to be in the water either way.

Thanks for the insight.

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Well it does sometimes happen for a few days in the fall that we get some but I wouldn't move here just for that.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #3
dropzone, Colorado
save your money and (1) buy a mountain bike and/or (2) roadtrip to the southeast/northwest
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #4
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
gunnison/cb isnt really the place to be as a paddler in the fall. the steep creeks are all long since done, the gunny town runs are scrapey low (400 cfs or lower) and our one dam released stash, the taylor doesnt last past mid september. its a great community and place to live, but shitty fall boating options
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #5
Boulder, Colorado
CB/Gunny has the best fall boating option in colorado: the black canyon, that shit is sick. But for me durango is a way better place to live when the early spring roles around and you are closer to AZ for real winter paddling.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Durango is great in alot of ways, but don't move here for the late summer/fall boating.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #7
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
who says u gotta buy a mt. bike for august?! good late season rallies:
Gore Canyon (till Oct usually)
Baileys (till Oct??)
Big Thompson (oct?)
Black Canyon & (gunny gorge) (?)
Shoshone,,westwater & Cataract canyon (oct)
Barrell springs (sometimes oct)
Ark (piney#s, gorge till oct)
Cross mt. gorge (low)
Waterton Canyon (ever?)
shoshone river??? WY roadtrip
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #8
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I've already got a mtn bike, just not in love with it. I'm not going to be around for the early spring snow storms, so that's not apart of this equation.

Bob, we should def rally some of those on the list. And boat around here more now, my schedule finally free'd up a bit and I'll be in the valley 7 days a week. Shoot me your # again too, my dog chewed up my phone & I lost em all.

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote