Old 04-19-2005   #1
ski/kayak bum

How does it play for the big paddler? reviews?

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I bought one on limited beta from a few guys here and on visual inspection of the design. I 've only had it out once, to Confluence, and the bottom hole is no longer retentive since some stuff got shifted last year - so I can't tell you much. What I can say is that it cartwheels with ease in flatwater and is comfortable for me (6'2"/34"/sz12/215#). Comfort was my main concern - I've gotten bone spurs in my other playboats and I've had enough of that. Fortunately it doesn't look like I'll have to sacrifice anything in performance. Can't say how it loops, but I'll be in Steamboat all next week for work, so I'll try to post some more beta once I get in the holes there. I like the FAT outfitting, and I put a Jackson Happy Feet in there - smooth like buttah.

I might also add that this is the first kayak I have ever paid retail for in 22 years of boating. When you pay that much, you ought to get *everything* you want, and so far I think I did. Picked it up at the CKS shindig, prices were just as good on the Front Range, but CKS won the sale because they took my trade-ins.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #3
I picked one up at the BOC a month ago. I just spent three days with it on shoshone and south canyon. It is very comfortable for me (6' 190lbs). I went with the EZG60 instead of the EZG50 so I would be comfortable in it with the bigger harder water. It is a great boat. It is very responsive and surfs, spins well. Although my play skills are poor I was able to throw the front down on the flat water. It also has good speed and does good as a river runner. Thats all the info I have at this point. So far I am very happy with this boat.
h2ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #4
EZG 60 Review

I paddled it both days this weekend at Cross Mountain (flow somewhere between 2500-3000?). The EZG 60 is the one boat do it all (except class 5 mank).

It surfed on the fly super well. I am 6'4" and 185 and it was shits and giggles on waves and a bit tough to throw in holes and on flatwater with my skills and weight. With some practice I would be able to link more than the 5 or 6 I could get this weekend.

Pretty Fast and handles pushy boily big water very well. If I were to buy it at my weight it would be for everything but park and play. But I usually c-1 smaller boats in park and play holes and waves. More weight would make it more fun but in general it rocks.

Old 04-19-2005   #5
ski/kayak bum
sounds like pretty good reviews
whats your guys' opinions, I'm 6'2" 225lbs 34inch and sz12. I currently have an airhead and a gus. I want to replace the airhead with something a bit better in the ocean, more cartwheels, and something I can take when I'm not sure that the creekboat is necessary and it must be relatively comfortable (or any combination of these). I can wait one or two more seasons for just the right boat.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #6
I (6' 190lbs size 10 feet) have moved the seat all the way forward and the braces back and out. There is a lot of room in this boat. However, you may want the seat back a so your feet fit better with booties on. The EZG60 will probably make a great play boat for your size.
h2ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #7

If you want to check out a review with video and pictures of the EZG in action then check out:
Stride Stand Up Paddleboards "Tough enough for the river"
Erase The Trace Waterway Ethic "Stand Up And Make A Differance"
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #8
Yea, the EZG along with the very similar Jackson Fun series are the maturing of the river runner/river play boats. I don't expect these boats will change much in the future. Looks like they've got the design down pretty well.

The EZG 60 is a big boat. I think the Jackson 4Fun is a bit smaller. They have a very similar hull and the recent tweaking of the Fun outfitting brings it up to par. The 4Fun also has a bigger cockpit opening--it takes a bigger skirt. Not sure if that is an advantage or disadvantage.

stiff is offline   Reply With Quote