Old 04-13-2009   #1
Eyes on Escalante?

Alright, I did it. Somebody had to.

I'm heading out to Cross on Friday and have been debating going the long way and checking Escalante. Anyone on the western slope looked at it lately? I know the weather has been cold, but with the warm temps and call for rain this week out in Delta I keep thinking it could go. Not sure how much snow pack it recieved but I'm guessing not a lot.

Any info would be a great relief. LMAO!

Justin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #2
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
The barometer gauge keeps pushing the minimum. Anyone looked at it recently?

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #3
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Yo Justin....probably gonna head up and hit Cross with you guys....but I was wondering the same thing about Esca.....I'm guessing the following weekend if temps stay 60/70's...above 40/50 at night. But would be interested to hear some other predictions....
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #4
Man Jeb, if nobody has any feed back I'm just gonna have to make the drive. I missed it last year, I'm not missing it this year. Otherwise, finally! You're finally gonna come paddle with me. Sweeeet!
Old 04-14-2009   #5
Fraser, Colorado
Hi de ho, Justin.
I just joined the Buzz. Jason & I are keeping our eye on Escalante as well. We have a week+ trip planned for May 1-? that hopefully will include Escalante. We would definitely love for you and Patrick and Luke and Jason (based on who I met last Saturday in Gore and whoever else is cool that I haven't met yet) to be there for that if it's on. This weekend (4/18-19) we're partying instead of paddling cause it's the spring splash at the resort (I'm single and need all the help/excuses I can get even though I don't ski anywhere near epcot center, co).
Laters - Mike
P.S. I dare you (or Jason or Patrick or Luke), however, to try to convince me otherwise about this weekend because it's fairly easy to change my mind at any point based on blowing off the chance to step in bullshit for running the shit.
P.P.S. And yeah I know that I'm not as hardcore as my new username might suggest; it's a highschool nickname that I now treat as a dare to myself.
foreverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #6
Seriously just met us at Cross. Its up over 2K so is it gets closer to 3K you'll get to see what I was talking about. Cross is awesome at higher flows than we originally ran it. You'll love it, just don't swim.
Old 04-14-2009   #7
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
its not going to run. its going to be cold and rainy all this week and its not going to get warm enough to go. just go to cross with everyone else, believe me, when esca runs, YOU WILL KNOW because there will be massive posts over and over as soon as it does!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Esca will not run until there are a couple days in the 70s and SUNNY in Delta. Without sun, the snowpack up there will not melt fast enough. Cool and rainy equals no Escalante. Also, look for more like 250 on the barometer, not 150. My guess is a 2 week season starting late next week.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #9
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
The difference in the gauge from Delta to Jct is 120cfs. If its not 700-1000 difference MINIMUM, Esca is not running. That simple.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #10
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Dude - it's painfully obvious that Mars is in the Twelfth House and the Blood Moon has not yet caused the Wolf-Mother to seek her brood among the Four Pillars of Destiny.

Everybody knows that Esca doesn't run until the Sun and Uranus have joined forces and the sum of the CFS of the Gunnison, the Colorado and the Arkansas is a prime number. Duh.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote