Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-18-2006   #11
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Lasik -

Funny you should bring this up. Just had a long, informative talk with an optometrist on a chair lift about the pros and cons of folks who fall out of the bounds of the normal bell curve for Lasik. (Perhaps you do too. Is there a reason why you still wear glasses???? ) In my case, she said, wait a few more years, new technology is coming for folks like me. I trusted her opinion as she was not making any money off me! (And I have done a ton of study on this matter!)

Go slow, find the guy in town who fixes a lot of botched Lasik jobs and get an estimate from him!
I got all excited about getting lasered until I learned I have thin corneas and wicked amount of near-sightedness (-7.5 diopeters). They could not do the flap on me and would have to simply plane down the cornea. Yikes. Scared me off!

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #12
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
The Laser Center. I had mine done years ago and had to go to Toronto at the time, as the laser necessary for my surgery wasn't approved in the US yet. They were recommended to me by several folks and the real seller was when i mentioned the doctor's name to the eye doc i went to growing up, his eyes got huge and he said ES that's where you need to go - i think it was dr machoit or something. The laser center has offices all over no america, so follow ups or help is available wherever you are. they also offer a lifetime guarantee that included any follow ups (ddr visits, surgeries, reading glasses for later years, etc).

A few things to be aware of: 1-- your eyes will be very dry at altitude, plan to get picky or finiky about the eye drops you use as you will notice the difference! 2-- it may take you a bit to get used to night vision. 3-- although most people end up with 20/20 or better, 20/30 or so is pretty common, too. 4-- be wary of doctors that only want to work on one eye at a time, this shows a lack of experience and lack of confidence. 5-- good luck, it's one of the best things i have done!

call or email me if you have any questions.

matt solomon
970 376 2146

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #13
oh yeah
how high can you go with lasix? i've heard that altitude can cause a problem. is 20,000 feet okay? i'd like to check out denail some day.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote