Old 06-30-2005   #91
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Tubers are fun as hell to watch and so is tubing...I love to tube...I have seen a friend of mine tube rigor at 500/600 and ace it..He also swam a few times,but whatever..I have also seen him drop a 35ftr in NZ and come out upright in his tube..He has also tube the fu running everything but zada...He did get the nickname flatliner there..I don't see what all the fuss is about,people having fun and they suck...Hmmm--great theory I guess..Can't believe you people are still talking stupid about this thread...

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #92
What's the big deal as long as you are being safe and having fun. If that's what you like to do, go for it! I would like to see these guys run, and would volunteer safety anytime.

Jaxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #93
To riojedi
Thanks for the info! I think that's the book Tube1 has...I'm not sure. A swiftwater rescue class might be interesting. It also might help me get over the fact that I hate PFDs because I cannot. I was out on Turquoise Lake with a friend, and we decided to swim to shore, and I ended up taking my PFD off so I could swim. To prevent anyone informing me this was really stupid, the water was about 75 degrees, maybe even a little higher (aka right around the temperature of Olympic swimming pools), and we were really close to shore, so there wasn't any danger involved.

To Gary E and Jaxxon
Thanks for the support! And Gary E, your friend sounds awesome.

To double-a-ron
So basically you're saying that if you're not perfect, get out. I've seen plenty of kayakers flip over in various rapids.
There have been occasions where I've fallen out of my tube on what I'm guessing is Class I or II stuff. By your theory, you're saying that I shouldn't be running those. However, there are Class IV rapids where I haven't fallen out at all. Guess what. Kayakers flipping over and tubers falling off is part of it. And besides, if you haven't run it, how do you know if you're perfect at it or not? Following your logic, we'd all be sitting in dark grass huts, afraid to try anything for fear that we may not be perfect at it.

To kurfothich
It's not me you should be apologizing to, it's the entire female population. I'm quite glad I haven't met you in person. From everything I've seen here, you're rude and obnoxious (and can't spell worth anything or use proper grammar). Just because you view tubing as something to do drunk (which, by the way, I think is just as stupid as you think us running harder rapids is) doesn't mean the whole world views it that way, and that the world should view it that way. I think you just don't like the idea that someone in what you call an inferior craft can do runs better than you can.
Results! Why, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won´t work.
~Thomas A. Edison :idea:
lilgreenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #94
This may be my last message for a while. I find this whole thread misguided. All we want is to have fun on the river and possibly earn some respect for the level we are at. I do not feel that we should have to prove ourselves to you all, in this forum or on the river. Let us have our fun and we'll do the same to you. All I ask is a simple wave or head nod on the river instead of the scowls and dirty looks. You do not have to support us, you do not even have to like us, but it might be nice if you were atleast friendly. We have met some really great boaters on the river and have shared some good rapids and good times. I am just growing tired of defending my actions and my right to be on the river. We know the risks, and we know our limits. Please just let us be. Have a great season, and we'll see you on the river.
Tube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #95
ski/kayak bum
lil- reread my post. I'm talking about class 4 and 5 stuff. I'm not applying any theories that cross class lines, in other words what I'm saying has no reference to class 1, 2, 3 or playparks or pools. if you are running the hard stuff then you should not only know how to read the water well enough to tell if you are capable but you should also have an appreciation for the consequences. Bad shit happens, no doubt. but you should have a frame of reference for the risks you are about to take and your swimming ability is not a factor in risk assessment at CLASS 4 AND 5.......oh, and flipping (rolling as we put it) a kayak and falling off a tube arent nearly the same thing. the equivalent to falling off of a tube in kayaking is when we come completely out of our boats while in the water. swimming in a class 4 or 5 river is VERY DANGEROUS for tubers and kayakers alike. ....for your own sake read some of the posts on here about the deaths that have taken place this year on the rivers in CO, also check out the American Whitewater website and look at the death stats they keep there, then definitely take that swiftwater class being discussed.......I'm not talking down to you, lecture you or trying to talk you out of pursuing whatever adrenaline you like its just really important to understand what your getting yourself into, like i said, i learned the hard way and was very lucky it didnt end worse...start using this forum as a learning tool rather then thinking we are all trying to bash or discourage you, there is a lot of useful info and people with incredible knowledge on here. there is also a lot of joking/sarcasm and obsurd stuff, dont take it personally........

PS i like it dark in my grass hut, then fat chicks are easier to wake up next to, oh i crack myself up...........
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #96
d-aron... not that she needs to be stood up for because she can hold her own for sure.. but i think its greatly obvious that she knows what she is getting into! I can appreciate the decision to make a class IV run in a tube afterall you just need to read the water correctly and put yourself there!! just like a kayak!! I was thinking of this post yesterday while running the upper blue, as i stared at the obnoxiously large hole river left of the main drop I could not imagine hitting that in a tube? but at the same time thinking hell these waves would be a blast on a tube! and no I dont need you sarcastic single minded people to tell me to cash in my plastic for rubber!!!!
LIL.. check out the Lotus PFD lolita (I believe thats what it's called?) (womens specific) it does not even feel as though you have a vest on.... guys are even using it!!!! it does run over a 100 but hell you dont have the greenbacks invested in paddle, skirt, boat, etc.. have fun be safe swim hard!
Tube 1...if you still have your ears on..... you will get a freindly thumbs up from me on the river!!! If i find myself in a class IV-V!!!!!
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #97
To brettb
Thanks for the support! You know, you could always invest in both the tube and kayak.
Unfortunately, I don't have a C note to invest in a PDF like that, but it sounds so awesome! All the stuff I use on the river is borrowed. The only things that are my own are my tennis shoes and my swim suit.

To double-a-ron
I wasn't saying that what you said crossed class lines. I was giving an example, that I can't even always run the lower classes perfectly. You can't just say, if you can't do it perfectly, stay off. People are always having to try something more than once before they get it perfect.
I do know how to read a river (if you ignore my running into the one huge boulder in the middle of the calmest part of the river, with plenty of water on both sides!), and I do know the consequences of what can happen if you call out. Which is why I only run it if I think I can do it, and if I have another person with me, helping me if I do end up in trouble.
And I wasn't saying swimming and rolling are the same...but there is the fact that we don't have the option to roll. We're either in or out. And if we do fall out, we do have the option of holding on to the tube while going down, which does make it easier to go down rapids, rather than just with a PDF. The tube just helps keep you even more afloat. Kayakers don't have that option.
And the comment you made at the end. Out of line. I can't believe some girl hasn't done some major damage to any of you who speak like that. I know I would if a guy I knew was making very stupid and derogatory and condesending comments.
Results! Why, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won´t work.
~Thomas A. Edison :idea:
lilgreenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #98
see the little ha ha part at the end means it's a joke, you know kidding, funny like, not to be taken seriosly and get the panties all up in a wad. I'm a fairly uptight person but good grief gimme a break.

medman is offline   Reply With Quote