Old 05-31-2006   #1
Extreme? Homestake Race

So what's the gig? Are they running piece of s**t tomorrow or not? Last year they didn't, but the level justified that call. Being a cliff dweller, I have happened upon a couple groups of boaters taking practice runs during this past week. As far as I know neither group bothered practicing on the rapid that makes this stretch of creek "extreme".

Call me a Bit**, because I am. I'll be the first to admit that. The Teva Mountain Games weblink for the "Extreme" creek race mentions the rapid in question. I can see ommiting it from the race because of its manky factor but the folks in charge of the whole event should take the name out of the hype and drop the "Extreme" from the title of the event.

I would love to see some quality challenging creeking tommorrow but am a little unsure about whether or not to take the time off work. The first two rapids on Homestake are not the crux of the run.

Can anybody out there provide some insight on whether the race will live up to its name?

Good Gawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #2
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
From what I have been told POS is not part of the race course. Last year the man himself all day Jay kincaid got verticaly pined. There is all sorts of shit in that run, and when you paddle class five as fast as you can lots of things can go wrong when you get tired. So next time you run what you call "easy" class five do it as fast as you can and see what happens. It is a lot more "extreme" than you think.

TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #3
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Huh. I as well as a few others lapped P.O.S 5 times this past week so to say no one is practicing it is non sense. Matt even posted video a few days back that shows three of us dropping in.

Still kind of low however. Is it in the race? I hope so as that is about the only advantage I would have. Are they going to? Doubtful, last I heard. I agree it should be part of it but contending with that portion after you have sprinted the upper makes it about ten times tougher. We'll see what tomorrow brings but I don't think it is in the race. Come out and race it though! You live near by. Forget work. And maybe when you cross the finish line we can sprint down P.O.S for fun.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #4
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
After racing/paddling it for the first time during the TEVA week, I can tell you that it's damn hard. After dropping all of the manky shit at the top and paddling through the flats I was super tired. Any 2 minute sprint down 1/4 mile of class 4/5 is extreme enough.

Now, there could have been bigger drops. But, running the race through POS isn't worth it. A lot of the racers said they would not race if it went through POS b/c of the fatigue factor involved. There's no way that 45 racers would have been able to sprint through the regular stuff and still have anything in the tank for POS.

Just my 2-cents. It wouldn't be safe.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote