Old 06-15-2005   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I met your Dad this winter...he is an awesome guy!!!! I talked with him about organizing a race this year. Unfortunately, the race is canceled but he was super cool about having people hang out there for the race. Let him know the race is off for this year but I am still hoping for next year.

About the log...unfortunately it is not in the same postion as it was during Memorial Day. Redneck and crew got it unwedge from it's first position. They had it pulled up and off and then released it with the log pointing downstream unfortunately as it was about to go downstream it got caught in the notch and is now wedged even deeper in the notch. Making it even more unsafe because now it looks like there is nothing there!!

When the water comes down in a week or 2 hopefully we will be able to get another rope around it and try to yank it out with a come along. There will definitely be a big group of us exerting mass amounts of effort to get this amazing rapid runnable.

Wilbert...thanks again for the wood removal in the past

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #12
Wilbert, as said before, a huge thanks to you and to your parents for letting us portage and scout the rapids. That is amazingly cool of them.

Since Kiss Me is usually portaged we all end up walking directly across your parents land (more blatantly so than when we scout, etc). Although the path up and over the cliff that your parents house rests on is obvious, there seems to be two different ways that kayakers hike back down to the river. Would you like us to try to mark one obvious and small path back down to the river for everyone to use so we don't track up your parents land any more than necessary? If so, which one? Maybe some of the local paddlers could make a nice wooden sign to mark the path that we should take back down to the river. Please let us know.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #13
Are you talking about the paths to get down to the river on the downriver (Eastern) side of the house? I'm not sure which two routes you are talking about. Do you mean the one down the rock stairs that go right by the dog fence and the old road that goes in an NE direction? If those are the two alternatives, I am not sure if it matters, as they are both established trails that my parents walk all the time with the dogs. But to get to the river after the Paralyzer or Kiss Me or whatever people are calling it, yeah there doesn't seem to be a real established trail. Maybe the next time I am up there, I will take a shovel and rock pick and try to burn one of the trails so it will be known to be the main trail. And don't worry about a sign, that is what my dad does for a living now after retirement, so he would be happy to make one. Just don't judge him for that monstrosity of a sign at the entrance to the driveway, he can do better.

And thanks for everyone saying thanks about the wood clearing. I know I will never be able to kayak down that, as I am barely a 3+ yakker, but I enjoy watching people that are skilled enough to attempt that.

Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote