Old 11-17-2008   #41
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by cold77 View Post
I'm not saying an Alpacka will be everyone's favoriet boat, but paddling a hardshell is a lot like road bike riding while Alpackaz are more like mtn biking:more forgiving, more fun, more open to more people who wanna play in whitewater.
Ha Ha!!! An alpaca more fun than a hardshell? Maybe if you don't know how to kayak proficiently. While its certainly a novelty to have a raft that fits in your luggage, most people choose their water craft based on performance, not airline luggage issues. There is a reason why crews of boaters bring creekboats all over the world on first D's and not alpaca rafts, they perform better. When Scott Lindgren assembles a crack crew of boaters to tackle some hard ass undone river and he brings... alpackas ... I'll believe it. Have fun with whatever boat floats you, but don't try to pump yourself up too much.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #42
I'm not even going to comment on Alpacka rafts being more fun than a hardshell but check this video of an alpacka raft running some super steep 30 cfs creek. It's pretty sweet.

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #43
Of remote places I hve been. I would have to say SW Ethiopia on the W side of the Omo river. Lots of rain feed creeks with big vert. No roads yet, I saw up close hippos crock's lepords. The Ak toting locals left you alone for the most part. It was very clear when you were the first white person they had seen. So who knows but my guess would be unrun.

N.Central Borneo. The NE side of Kota Kinnabulu highest Mountain not on a coninent. Looked rad. East of there about 100 miles looked good also but bigger in volume. The dude I was with said we have to be gone by dark becuse of Islamic extrmist. And a bunch of Westerners were kidnaped(some killed) off the road a few weeks later. So I think there might be some unrun there. Not gonna give anymore up. And Europe and unrun in the same sentance does not go for me. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #44
-We did 7 1st descents there, some large volume, some roadside and plenty still there

-I saw a lot of stuff there but did'nt have a boat

-We did 6 or 8 1st Descents of individual waterfalls there and there are still more in the Northwest corner if you go early enough(April). It should be cheap there now as well.

-Hav'nt been but people have been doing lots of super high quality 1st D's there.

Northern Norway
-I have been there twice and the place is obviously one of the best ww destinations on the planet, along with cali and others. In far Northern Norway there are plenty of serious 1st descents still to be done. Larger rivers with gradient.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #45
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
Borneo's Maliau Basin. Anybody know of it?
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #46
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
gotta couple more....

West/Central Africa- thanks to the ever present tribal trouble, the entire congo river system has yet to be explored, as well as the lush, well watered hills of western africa.

S America- Specifically, N Brazil, Guyana, Suriname, etc. Somebody already mentioned this, but the Guyana Plateau could hold an incredible array of whitewater, big, friendly geologic layers, lots and lots of water, the only drawback is access.....

China- Lots of dams and lots of difficult access, but the 3rd largest country in the world ought to have a fair number of unexplored rivers....

Greenland- The more it melts, the more bedrock it exposes. Add in lots of clear glacial water and the fact that its a million miles from nowhere adds up fast
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #47
FRESNO, California
Paddling Since: 2004
Still tons of stuff in Brazil worth checking out.
aevanlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #48
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like you've got a beef of some sort with Lonely Planet,definetely not the optimal source for ww info but I've always liked them for general budget travel.I thought it was great that they did your write up , sure your web site is much better,but it was more ,though limited ,info than i have ever seen anywhere else.Moon is okay ,I traveled around Honduras some with the guy that wrote their Honduras guide.Berkeley Guide is my favorite they go to real tiny off the beaten path places and do more nature and real culture travel on a low budget ,seems to involve hiking to a lot of waterfalls.I have found out about a lot of rivers ,run and unrun ,and cool backwater places by reading those books,run some known stuff,scouted a dozen or more unrun rivers and 1st d'd a few,they help figure out where to look.

Just from perusing maps it seems like the central province[ whatever is below/beside Bocas Del Toro ]rivers flowing into the Caribbean must hold some new runs to explore,no?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #49
makati, California
what do you mean of this exploratory boating?you explore using the boat like sailing?

Great thing to know about busby seo test.

jams002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #50
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote