Old 02-12-2008   #11
Watershed from Downriver would be my choice. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #12
Not sure, but I was under the impression that this guy was looking for input on the best dry bags (not necessarily driest and most bomber) for hard core expedition kayaking. Sure, we all know Watershed is the best drybag made but it's heavy and expensive, too. When you're self-supporting out of your yak, I find it best to use a number of small drybags as it helps for evenly distributing the weight without repacking all of your gear everytime you want to make a tweak. Watershed bags are definitely NOT conducive for these circumstances. Plus, not everything necessarily has to be bone dry. Really just the sleeping bag. I'd go with the compression sacks if they're truly waterproof.

And I agree, it's good to support your local shop. CKS is the shit. But if I were a FrontRangeChoad (which I'd never admit to, either), I definitely wouldn't go to Confluence. They've all been total dickfaces to me every time I've ever been in there (especially once they realize I'm not shopping for the most expensive item in the store). And the Don character's the biggest wrench in the toolbag, too. Deushbag.

BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #13
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Big D...

Not cool bro. Confluence is a great shop that has been around for years and helped TONS of people to better understand our sports and to also provide great service. These guys are the real deal, they are helpful and they do what they can in a market that makes no one millionaires...

My 2 cents...yes. But regardless, I have never had your experience in that store. Confluence is top notch in my book.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #14
More thoughts

If you are on a "hardcore expedition" I would think that you would want the best equipment you could have. I did a 12 day trip in Alaska last year that was certainly hardcore enough to pass muster here and I will say unabashedly that you really do want most of your gear dry. Your clothes, sleeping bag, pad, bivy, food, stove... In harsh conditions, you rely heavily on your drybags, because the next day it isn't pissin' rain may be sometime next week. If you are going hardcore, that 6 oz. of plastic weight you saved on your drybags is going to look rather paltry while your freezing your ass off in the bush. Think of the total weight of yourself, your kayak, and all your gear for a hardcore trip. Is less than a pound in drybag weight going to break you? Do you really want to have one set of half-ass drybags for when you need to weigh 1/2 pound less and one set for when it counts or would it be worth it to spend the money on one product that works. Bomber. Everytime...
As for packing, if you just spend a little time each day on the repack with your tweaking, it is easy as pie to get a balanced load.
I agree that Watershed is not the easiest bag to get into throughout the day. I use a small, reliable bag to keep the tobacco, lunch, herb, firestarters, lighter, etc. in. Depending on the trip, I put it right behind the seat with the throwrope or use a small dry bag w/belt(like a fanny pack) inside the drysuit. If the shit goes down, you have fire, map, weed, tobacco, purifying tablets, etc. and stand a better chance of making it out or at least dying warm, high and puffing on some good 'backy...
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #15
Watershed dry bags = HEAVY
conpared to seal line bags. May get one watershead for your most important item/items. (sleeping bag & underwear)
WesternMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #16
Count. On my first big International trip I used the old army surplus black bags. Got a little wet. My second, third and fourth I used the seal line if you pack right you will be fine. On my fourth trip we had people with the watershed they are heavy but seemed easier to use and I will admit i had gear lust. So if I was to buy today I would look there first sealline or similar type second. I do also break my stuff into a few small bags. Steve

BigD. "Your a sad small man and you have my pity"
Old 02-14-2008   #17
I won't take offence to what you said Big D cuz I don't need a fence got one around my house already and there are to many in this world already.

I could care less when someone comes in if they are the biggest hucker, a sitontop lake paddler or wanna be touring boat paddler on cherry creek res.
everyone gets treated the same. Like they are a flat azz broke dirtbag livin out of there car.
Of course I am going to show you the most expencive peice of gear in the store I am a retail shop in the biz to make some money for the owner so I get paid so I can afford to buy a new boat.
Alot of people come in here wanting to see the lastest and greatest gear that just came in off the truck.

If you spend money when you come in great if you don't thanks for keeping me company for alittle while.
If I was selling the most expencive gear to everyone that came in youwould see alot less WRSI helmets and alot more Sweet Rockers on the heads of the newbies out there.

As far as other shops, I've been ignored in every shop in the state cuz most of the "Hard Core" don't know who I am and that was even when I had money to spend before I worked in a shop.

Scott @ Confluence Kayaks

Stop in and keep me company anytime.
If I treat you like a newbie it's cuz I don't know you.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #18
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I've had a lot better service at Confluence then CKS and CKS has good service.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #19
Geez Scott way to kill the thread acting all mature and shit. I gotta admit that one of the things that tick me off here at the Buzz. Are people taking anonomous cheap shots at small outdoor retailers. sj
Old 02-14-2008   #20
Uncle Rico
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Confluence Kayaks treated me like a newbie. By that I mean that they showed me a bunch of different stuff, answered all of my stupid questions and listened patiently while I tried explain what I thought I needed. I will continue to be a patron there for many years.
Sorry that we "FrontRangeChoads" are such an annoyance to you BigD.
In the words of Rodney King, " Can't we all just get along?"
See ya all on the river.

rpage is offline   Reply With Quote