Old 02-11-2004   #11
Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I started having problems last year also. I bought the DOC's plugs and wear a skull cap and it seems to help alot. I had my Dr. check my ear and it looks ok now. He advised me to come see him in the spring if it hurts. I grew up surfing in cold water and never had problems until kayaking in CO.

PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #12

Doc's Pro-Plugs are a good deal. Get the vented ones. And get a backup pair for when you -inevitably- lose your original pair.

I've got some manky exostosis going on too. Best thing I do is preventative maintenance: every month or so put a few drops of Swim Ear in your ears. Let it get down in there by lying on your side so it will drain into your ear. Work it around in there by pulling on your ear and rubbing around :> This breaks up the wax. Then flush it out with a bulb irrigator (from the drug store) filled with warm (not hot) water. This flushes out any wax buildup and lets your ear drain. This is important b/c with exostosis your ear canal is smaller and dosn't drain well now. You want to avoid the viscious cycle of exostosis/infections that just leads to more stenosis (shrinkage) of the outer ear canal...which in turn leads to MORE infections and exostosis. Keep your ears clean...

Oh yeah: don't use Q-tips - they just push wax down farther into the ear. This impacted wax makes drainage worse. Which makes infections likely.

My ten cents.

GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #13
Any idea how much you have to paddle in cold water before worrying about this. I.e., is this something a weekend Colorado warrior like me has to worry about?

matobs is offline   Reply With Quote