Old 03-24-2005   #1
Excited newbe looking for early season runs

I am a total beginner looking for an easy early season river to run. I just got back from Moab and took my boat on the Colorado River Daily section and now I'm too excited to wait for the Poudre to run, any suggestions?

kandsandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Someone posted not too long ago that the new Pueblo kayak park on the Arkansas is running- sounds like a good place to work on rolls, peel-outs and eddy turns.

The Grizzly Creek section below Shoshone would be a good option- no problem with self rescue there.

If you have a couple of folks with you to babysit, keep an eye on the Northgate Canyon flows after you get a few runs under your belt- there are a couple of rapids in there, but nthing huge at low water.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #3
pnw, Washington
They turned the water down low in Pueblo to do some fine tuning. Not sure if it is back on.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #4
pnw, Washington
Looks like it is still low but it would still be a place with low risk and some learning potential.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #5
Moab, Utah
At one point there were ice bridges across the entire river on the Grizzly run below No Name. I usually don't pay attention to this area, but I specifically remember thinking "damn, thats a lot of ice" when seeing the river just upstream of the glenwood springs tunnel. it is probably gone now, but I have not looked on my last couple trips through the canyon.

Another early season option close to denver is the golden park. at low flows you can practice eddy turns and peel outs, and some front surfs on the better waves. another option is the deckers run if the flow is good, but this may be subject to icing as well.

please do not go alone on any of these, especially for your first visit.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've rowed the section below Two Rivers Park to south Canyon in January and it was clear of ice. I'd expect Grizzley should be clear by this time of year.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy

I know what you mean. I just got back to the sport after 4 years. I have a new (used) boat and I'm itching to get out. A friend and I were just discussing running below Shoshone while the water is still cold. You won't get into much trouble there, I believe it's 11 miles of class 2 on and off. If you run it, let me know how it goes. I've run Shoshone as a early beginner... not a wise idea just yet.... but below would be a good choice for this time of year.

Poudre should start running in 3-4 weeks. I've enjoyed Filter Plant at 650 or 700 before... good play apparently.... like I know how to playboat....

jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #8
Me Too !!!

I just got my new/used boat and have been going to Union Chutes to play the ferry/eddie game it's been runin 20-40 which I guess is nothing but it still flipped me a couple of times it was a cold swim...
Went there today to see what it looked like at 100ish and it kinda made me think, Wow thats alot of water guess I should really learn to roll soon...

A few weeks ago I was out doin some small streches of Deckers & Foxton there is Ice in some places on Foxton but Deckers was clear and kinda fun in my touring boat!!!
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #9
Web Developer/Programmer
Union Chutes

rasdoggy, I live like 100 yards down the bike path from union chutes. If you want someone to boat with there just give me a call. 303.549.3140 I didn't even think it would float a boat at 20 cfs.

Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #10

Thanks for the offer you might be hearing from me somtime, It is kind of shallow at 20 and you do drag bottom runnin the chutes on some!!! Ive been going to bellow the third drop to pratice turning in and out of the eddies and even got a little surf in but was bouncing the bottom!!!

rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote