Old 05-14-2011   #1
Ketchum, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1985
Escalante River, UT

Anyone been on the Escalante recently?
How were the flows and know any projections?
Any info would be appreciated.

Kirk Ebertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #2
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
32 cfs now, just dropped from about 90 which is a lot of water for that channel. Here's the major source snowpack graph:

To summarize, it's melting fast. If you get on soon, you might have enough water to get down.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #3
I would not trust that gauge completely. I drove by on 5/1/11 at the put-in and there was roughly 30-50 cfs in the creek, enough to start a float. The gauge read 7 cfs that day. On 5/1 there was a lot of snowpack left, but it's been hot...
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #4
Kanab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't trust the gauge either.

Just had someone check out the Escalante River at the Highway 12 bridge. Estimate that its running at 50 cfs. Plenty of water to run in a ducky. It may be a little bumpy until Boulder Creek comes in, but should be fine after that. Based on past year's patterns and looking at the snowpack graph, I would say that there is at least another two weeks of good runnable water left, maybe longer.

Wish I was going this year, but the schedule just won't let me...
slashvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #5
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The gauge is terrible. ran it in duckies launching at 7cfs and had fun. got out of the boats 5x or more a day to drag boulder gardens- but it was fun.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #6
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
The gage is upstream near town, where there are irrigation take-outs. Between the gage and the Hwy 12 bridge are three major confluences with snowmelt headwaters: Death Hollow, Sand Creek, and Calf Creek. If those are running strong, then you can have a good water level despite a low reading on the gage upstream.

But those of us who live a couple days drive away and need to plan in advance will look at whatever source of info we can get.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #7
Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1963
Thanks for your comment, Chip. I currently maintain the Escalante River gage. Much of the flow of the Escalante River upstream of town is captured in Wide Hollow Reservoir. Pine Creek enters the Escalante just upstream of the Escalante River gage. There are significant inflows between the gage and the SR-12 bridge, as Chip mentioned. Boulder Creek inflow downstream of SR-12 can double the Escalante flow. The gage is operated for water rights and hydrologic study purposes.

09337000 Pine Creek nr Escalante gage is the best indication of runoff trends in the Escalante tributaries. These tribs drain the south flank of Boulder Mountain. If considering the quality of data, look for the little red asterisks on the discharge graphs which indicate recent measurements.
In life, pain is unavoidable, suffering is optional.
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #8
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
perhaps I should have said "the escalante gauge is not a great way to predict boatable flows. Look at the other tribs and call a local to get more info."

I actually call the shuttle company and see who else is launching. At least then I know if it is miserable we will be miserable together.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	wstu1.25-19-avg.2005.2004.1993.0.png
Views:	190
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	3641
For comparison, 1993 and 2005 had some sizable flows. That's what you really want to see at Widstoe.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just got off a 7 day trip on the Esacalante River and flow was good. First time running this so have no basis for comparison but there were only three portages and a hand full of shallow spots that we had to drag a very short distance.

Dave Jurich is offline   Reply With Quote