Old 05-08-2011   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Escalante flow and carnage TR 5/8/11

Escalante is in, in a big way. High ++ today, only a few takers on the lower (I'm talking like 3 out of 50).

my count was 7 boats on the side of the river abandoned. (they are all out/picked up now)

please remember that waterslide is no joke at high flows, we were 30 seconds away from losing a friend today. There is a sieve on river left that is easy to fall in when the center line opens (especially when it starts juicin in there), and the pothole on river right is a death pocket if you miss your boof and you don't have safety.

High water is on the way across the state, heads up!

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #2
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
All boats are out, still missing a paddle though. Has a name on it and was last seen tossed on the left shore somewhere between double drop and rib cracker.

It was high, but its been higher too. Wood is moving around as well, a 10ft log was hanging in a eddy just above the entrance to the gorge drop when we came down on lap two. Everything else was clean as of 4pm. Ran all the way to captain smith cabin, sneak the fence on far left

If your not 100% on that line on waterslide, get out and look at it. That Seive is hidden and scary. It was a simple mistake, part of our crew, was so cautious about the pothole that just got off to the left. And a lot more current is going left and it drops straight into the seive. He went deep in, but had an air pocket with his upper body exposed, but the lower part of the boat was folding in. We had one scramble up from the bottom ready for a rope lowering and a second climb up onto the seive forming rock and pull him from the boat. Boat stayed in almost completely hidden for 10-20 mins.

Hot weather is cranking it right now. Highest in the morning, lowest in early to mid afternoon. Our 2nd lap at 2ish was just higher than our 11am run yesterday, so its still coming up.

stay safe!

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #3
Golden, Colorado
I threw a werner paddle (straight shaft, white blades) up on shore between Waterslide and DD on Sunday.

Waterslide was taking names all weekend. I saw a long hold down in the hole and came to the rapid after scary stuff had happened on both days: the broken face on Sat. and got to talk to the crew that had just finished cleaning up the pin on the left sieve on Sun.. Scary stuff... that rapid is dangerous.

I thought Sat. was medium and Sun. was medium high but not high, but that might just be me. High is just a state of mind, I suppose It was much higher a few trips ago... can't remember the year, but not too far back.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the reports guys.

Sure would be nice to get a more consistent way to gauge flow in escalante. The fin is a useless gauge because its only out at low flow. Any good ideas?

Waterslide is a good rapid to use as a gauge... ie how much water is flowing over the center boof.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
perhaps it was not this "high"

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #6
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
"Escalante swimmer at Waterslide"

jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote