Old 05-30-2011   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Epic Winds???

"Fly away buzzard, fly away crow, way down south where the winds don't blow. Rub your nose and give two winks and save us from this awful jinx."--Barney Fife(r)

Did anyone else feel jinxed on the Dolores this weekend, even without the lack of birds flying due to the winds? My friend's 14.5 ft fully loaded boat, was literally picked up from the river and blown an easy 15ft across the river and slammed against a log. Fortunately no tragedy ensued, although a dog recovery was necessitated... The winds were probably the most epic I have ever experienced on a river trip and I am wondering if anyone has enough experience with running the Slick Rock to Bedrock section of this river to tell me if I should expect this kind of wind each year at this time? I know that this is spring and desert winds are common, but we did feel somewhat jinxed on our first trip through this incredibly beautiful canyon.

"If you boat with your mouth open in the wind and put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, its impossible to pronounce a word that begins with the letter 's'."
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #2
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Terrible Winds and a Wonderful Emptiness

Back here in the Roaring Fork/CO valleys we definitely felt that wind as well. It was huge, relentless, and made for some troublesome river days, no doubt, and I'm sorry to hear that it interrupted your experience on a beautiful stretch of river.

Unfortunately those winds will also mean that any hope of a slow, even melt-off in the Colorado basin are now almost nill. The albedo of the snow just sky-rocketed with all the dust which was so generously donated from Utah and the western deserts. With significantly warmer temperatures starting this week and the darker surface of the snow, the run-off is going to be fast, huge, possibly awesome, but definitely scary.

So here we go.

LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #3
Wind like that is rare. We were on a float from loma to westwater sunday, with 25-40 mph winds. Thankfully the river is ripping. It took us 4.5 hours even with the wind.
kieper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #4
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
We were in WW with what seem like 50mph gust that hit us right at Hummer, could not see anything from a kayak, there was a water shield coming up the canyon, blowing the tops off the waves, both paddlers got knock over, I've never been knocked over before and have been in some huge wind events............ It was awesome,still lots of fun!
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #5
pnw, Washington
The wind has been like this since since February, try riding a bicycle in it.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #6
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #7
Paddling Since: 2002
we had a lightly loaded raft at camp flip onto another raft breaking an umbrella stand. also saw a tree fall from the cliff side. pretty cool!! luckly our camp was blocked from the wind
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #8
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
One of the guys (who shall not be named) claimed the wind made him flip on the upper Big T yesterday
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #9
DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Mostly a downriver wind on the Dolores, Kind of a nice change from the typical upriver wind.
eddy hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #10
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Sounds like Colorado has been sucking more than wyo.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote