Old 02-27-2013   #81
Santa Fe, New Mexico
40th Birthday on the river. It is just myself, wife, and 2-yr daughter. My wife gives me a Partner 2-burner stove for my birthday. Since it is just the three of us, I figure we can get by with a 1-lb propane canister instead of the 20-lb tank. On the way to the put in, we realize we forgot the tent. Get to camp and set up the stove, the 1-lb tank does not thread onto the Partner unless you have an adapter. Plenty of fuel just no way to burn it in my brand new stove. Fire ban in effect, but we have raw ground beef to cook for a taco dinner. Have a campfire, cook over the fire, sleep on a tarp, float out 25 miles next day as not to push our luck anymore.

Hey diddle diddle; right down the middle... D. Sallaz
king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #82
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
So, in '09, we get a GC permit. A full 16 person trip. Everyone has their own boat and gear. My GF is putting the menu/food list together from scratch. Hours and hours of work and many spreadsheets. On top of this, one of her software clients needs some work done ASAP and not just a little tweaking. Afull blown data retrieval program. We have friends flying in and showing up at the house. It's a zoo.

The morning that we're leaving for Page, we get the trucks loaded. Walk through the house. It all looks good. We drive to Page. She's still putting the menu and ingredient quantity list for each meal together. Often till way after midnight. Everyone gets a spreadsheet and debit card for food shopping. We shop. Jed was a slave driver. Apsolutely would not let leave Safeway till they booted us out at midnight.

We get to LF. Everyone is rigging boats. Pam's at the picnic shelter trying to wrap up the menu on her laptop, so we can go back to Page and print it at the hotel. Ranger Dave shows up. Royally pissed that we have 5 vehicles at the ramp. The ramp was empty. We weren't spread out. We kept it tight. It was late in the afternoon. All of the commercials were long done and gone. He tells us he wants to inspect all of the require gear ''right now!''. Uh, OK, we can do that. We get to the signal mirror. "Where's it at?" "In the camping drybag. " Hmmmm, the camping drybag with our sleeping bags, tent and stuff?" "Yup." So, I look in the truck for the fifteenth time. A little frantic at this point. I could of looked a hundred time and it wasn't gonna change a thing. Man, that's a sick feeling when you realize that the camping drybag is neatly packed...........sitting on the bedroom floor 10 hrs away.

We scrounged gear and stopped in the camping section at Wally World on our way back from printing the menu/ingredients list. It was still an awesome trip and if I don't say so, we ate really good on it.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #83
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
[QUOTE=". Man, that's a sick feeling when you realize that the camping drybag is neatly packed...........sitting on the bedroom floor 10 hrs away.

I can only imagine the stream of foul words...
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #84
Park City, Utah
I prolly dropped a couple F-bombs at myself.
Old 02-27-2013   #85
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't know how I forgot this from my original post;

Many years ago I was on the Middle Fork on a friends bachelor party. 18 of us were having a great night, when someone starts to light off bottle rockets. I was doing dishes and the person I was doing them with said he thought it was really stupid to light off bottle rockets. I didn't think it was too big a deal. Less that 5 minutes later, the guy lighting them starts screaming, 'shit, shit, shit', and we all look across the river and see that one of his bottle rockets had started a fire about 50 feet up the bank. In a jiffy, everyone is rowing and paddling to the other side of the river. It is about 9pm at this point. We set up a bucket brigade, and spend the next 3 hours hauling water up to put out the fire that had grown to about 20x20. It was pretty damn embarrassing to be associated with this, and a great lesson for a young man. Of course, a few years later the whole area burnt to the ground, as is natures way.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #86
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Drunkenly staring at our 5 rafts in the eddy below clear creek at 2am on night 8 of a g.c. trip. I'll never forget the feeling when I slowly began to realize that there should definitely have been 6 rafts in that eddy.
Mark the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #87
Park City, Utah
That's it!? No gory details?
Old 02-28-2013   #88
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm always good for forgetting something....sometimes big, sometimes small. For instance ran the Illinois last weekend and forgot the main ingredient for my part of one of the meals (potatoes). Heard about that the whole trip. The worst was when I pulled into camp with the wife and kids and was feeling pretty good about things. Had the kitchen set up and was in the beginning stages of getting dinner going, then the wife asks where I had the sleeping bags packed? Might have been able to laugh about it except for a pissed off wife and a cold 10 year old and 5 year old.
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #89
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
That's it!? No gory details?
It actually ended well. 3 of us in kayaks left before dawn and we found the raft in the river right eddy at the bottom of Granite. It ghost rode about 10 miles with nothing tied down and not a single thing was missing. I wish I could have seen the line it took through horn creek. We spent the rest of the day drinking heavily and running laps on granite while we waited for the rest of our group to catch up.
Mark the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #90
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Grand Canyon moments

On our trip in March, 2009:

High winds sandblasted me then pulled tent stakes out of the ground as I tried to set up. My entire tent flipped and was left with 2 stakes preventing it from taking off. The same night another member of our group had their kayak, paddle and sprayskirt blown into the river in the middle of the night. Fortunately, another group member heard it bounce past him and woke up the owner of the gear who retrieved their boat. Luckily it all blew into the massive eddy on the upstream side of the Tanner(?) campsite. I was able to follow the recirculating debris in the eddy and recover the paddle and sprayskirt.

Our group suffered multiple drysuit and drytop gasket failures. I spend several evenings constructing a neck gasket out of wrist gaskets.

One person got a hand full of cactus spines and another got a minor scorpion sting on the same night.

After a game of chug, shuck, run, swim, one person cut their forehead when they were slightly inebriated and fell hitting the edge of the fire pan. Luckily, it was a minor cut.

DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote