Old 02-26-2013   #71
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Went on a 4 day trip with a bunch of rowdy friends of mine, it rained the whole trip. On the 2nd night everyone was doing crushed barbituates off a sleeping pad and one member of our group slid down the hill into the river in his waiters. I was asleep, when we woke up he came crawling out of another friends tent in said friends purple sweatpants. The story we got was that he was being helped out of his clothes and was near hypothermic so spooning was in order to get core temps back up. We made many ass play jokes and still to this day question what happened in that tent (insert banjo music).

Any one want to go camping?

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #72
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
hey kyle k been there and done that except for raft #2and #3, i was the last to run and got into the room lost both oars boat wasn't going anywhere looked like all hell was about to break loss calmly look at my two passengers and said "WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A PINNED BOAT SAVE YOUR ASS" both passenger's steped from the boat to the shore and I being the capitain followed last. That boat was getting trashed in there and we were glad not to be still on the boat We tied the boat up and had to d-rig the whole boat right to the frame,(during which I discovered that my pelican box was gone which had my stash in it), pulled the boat over the black rock and dropped it into the eddy. When finally re-rigged the boat my buddy comes up to me and hands me my.... you guessed it my pelican box, he had found it floating around the shore I let him keep the stash and me the box. p.s that sleeve is called Stanley's Slot, after a guide who flipped and got flushed into the eddy below.

rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #73
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Forgot the toilet chemical on the san juan in the days before wag bags. Ended up covering each night's groovage with a layer of sand in the bucket. It worked OK actually...

Thought Camp B was Camp A at Slickhorn and had to pull several rafts upstream about a quarter mile.

Same trip shuttle out from Clay Hills, El Flaco's folded raft slides out of the bottom of his trailer and gets a gnarley hole worn through from dragging on the ground
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #74
Johnson city, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2005
Working as a guide on a class III IV river, which will remain nameless, I had a family of 4 consisting of the parents and a brother and sister right at the legal age for rafting. None of them had ever been on a river in there lifetime and were scared shitless. I spoke with the family and asked if my girlfriend could join us, they agreed. My girlfriend at this time had never been on a river either. The trip started out great, we ran the first class 4 with ease. Toward the end of the run I started to butter them up about the last back to back large rapids, and how they did not want to swim these. I assured them that we would be fine and they would have a blast. Right before these back to back IV rapids there is a small play hole I had always dropped sideways with no issues. Well this time we dropped it and my girlfriend went flying off backwards, with feet in the air. I grabbed the lapels of her pfd, without planting my feet and proceeded to pull her back in and prepare for what was to come, Rather than just kicking her feet she caught me off guard, she grabbed my arms and kicked off of the boat. Naturally I went in the drink head first. I come back up and explain to her how she needs to get her ass back in the raft or this swim was not going to be enjoyable for any of us. I ended up pushing on her ass and getting her back in the raft just in time, I however I was not so fortunate. I ended up swimming, screaming commands while holding on to the stern handle. After a gnarly swim with multiple bruises/cuts, I climbed back in. The family was cheering and laughing, they had no idea what had just happened. Luckily there was a nice swimming section below these rapids where I quickly jumped back in river to hide my beaten body. Ended up with a fat tip and bruised ego. I ended up marrying her, she still will not let me live it down.
PhilipT-N-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #75
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by PhilipT-N-TN View Post
Working as a guide on a class III IV river, which will remain nameless,
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #76
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
OK, I'll chime in with a few.
Main Salmon - Afternoon, a little windy, setting up tents at Hancock. A couple didn't get their gear, or a few rocks into the tent fast enough after setting it up, before staking it down. Wind picked it up, and it rolled, fully set up, across the beach, into the water, and off down the river. One of the kayakers jumped into his boat and took off after it. He came dragging it back after about 20 minutes. Only had one bent pole. The next morning as we were launching, someone asked about the next rapid (Son Of Hancock). The kayaker answered...."the tent seemed to run it just fine."

Deso - All the keys from the other vehicles were to be locked in the TL's truck along with the shuttle paperwork. TL keys in a Hide-a-key. TL forgot to Hide the Hide-a-key. Luckily someone needed to add something to the shuttle paperwork at the last minute, and we discovered the hidden key was not hidden, but still in the TL's pocket. That could have been ugly at the take-out.

Middle Fork, late season, low water trip - I made a nice run through Devils Tooth, but took my eye off the ball at House Rock. Didn't make the right to left pull through the S-curve in time, and ended up stuck in the right corner pocket on the huge rock. Got the boat free with help from my friends.....unfortunately I was not on the boat when it came unstuck and floated away downstream (embarrassing part of the whole debacle....duh!!!). So I crawled out the the end of the huge rock, tightened up my PFD, surveyed the scene, and went for a little swim down to my boat. Got myself sorted out, back in the boat, and finished up with a great run through Cramer. Then tried to cut off my right thumb with a pocket knife at the the Cache Bar take-out. Great trip.....epic fail ending.
cataraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #77
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
We woke up to this miscalculation on day 2 of our grand trip:

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #78
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Jumping the fire on my brother's bachelor party Yellowstone trip and I slipped on a rock right before lift-off and stepped in the fire. Got a nice 2nd degree burn about 2" across on the top of my foot and singed all the hair on my leg up to my knee.

Loading the boat the next two days while trying to keep my foot dry and out of the river water sucked.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #79
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The store was out of the groover liquid chemicals I usually buy so I bought a box of premeasured powder chemical packets. I found the packets difficult to open and ended up with the powder all over my hands. Washing with water turned the powder into blue dye. This was on day one of a three day trip and my hands were blue the entire time. On the second day I discovered that the convenient packets dissolve.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #80

Here's what happens when a day of really hard rain in the Grand stops in the middle of the night.

Rich Phillips

Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 2010 -RP 232.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	923.8 KB
ID:	5661

richp is online now   Reply With Quote