Old 06-06-2013   #101
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi Shoe, thanks for the details about the Ghost boat from Phantom. If you search the Buzz for " Motor Rig leaves passengers at Phantom this afternoon " you'll find the posts that were going around about the boat. All the best, tom

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #102
peoria, Arizona
Too much wine equals naked boat story

Middle of summer. No rivers running in AZ so decide on an solo overnighter sea kayak trip to Canyon Lake. Do a few miles and then pull out at the end of a canyon arm for a late lunch and break. Barely pull the boat out of the water since it's dead calm, the camp chair is less than 5 yards from the boat, and it's a zillion degrees out.

Sun keeps sinking lower and lower as does the jug of wine. Strip down and keep cool by taking dips in the lake ever so often. Never unloaded the boat. Booties, PFD, and clothes simply tossed into the cockpit. Photo taken well into the jug of wine as can be seen by the crappy exposure.

Next thing I know it's 4 AM and I keep thinking that shouldn't the boat be right here? Don't even have a flashlight to look for it. Possessions on shore consist of a book, empty wine jug, half-full water bottle, and a thermarest camp chair.

Butt naked. No ID.

At first light, work to the very end of the lake arm hoping against hope that the boat/gear washed that way. Thorns/rocks shred the bare feet and do better floating in the water than walking or wading. No luck. Take the thermarest as a mini-floataion device and start swimming towards the lake end of the arm. Working on a plausible story to explain being naked except for a thermarest sarong. Also hoping my possible power boat rescuer would not mind working the shoreline looking for a 14 ft kevlar kayak. No matter how many times I revise the story, it never gets any better.

200 yards and find the Werner glass paddle sticking out of a shoreline mesquite. Another 200 yards and I can hear powerboaters in the distance and can now see the main lake channel. Last little mini-cove and there it is. Bobbing up and down and I don't know why it stopped there instead of drifting out into the lake.

Little narrow boat that is so tippy that I rarely take photos when paddling. Can't believe it has not capsized. Everything bone dry. Neophrene hatch cover without a tie point just sitting on top as seen in the above photo. Camera thrown uncovered on top of the PFD.

This little event went unmentioned to anyone for many years.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #103
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
Hi Shoe, thanks for the details about the Ghost boat from Phantom. If you search the Buzz for " Motor Rig leaves passengers at Phantom this afternoon " you'll find the posts that were going around about the boat. All the best, tom

Speaking of commercial boats getting away, do you know the story of the commercial boat that slipped it's mooring and floated a long distance, through many major rapids, and was found with loose PFDs still in it, indicating it had not flipped? If you know the story, this would be a great place to post it.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote