Old 04-15-2004   #1

The phateye gauge reads 320cfs or 2.8' Which gauge does this correlate to in crc? Is it good to go?

routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
You would probably need a snowmobile to get to the put-in. I don't know if it's listed in crc2, but you should call the campground near the takeout that also does shuttles, they should know if the road is open or not. Also, there is a LOT of flatwater on this run, I reccomend going there at peak.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I probably win(?) the award for the lowest water run ever of this creek and I still had fun. I felt pretty stupid though when I had to get out of my boat twice to push it through a gravel bar. However, Badkins is right, I don't think you'd even make it to the put-in right now. We putin at about 120CFS at the top and maybe 150 at the bottom. That was July 5 last year. You start in a mountain meadow, but it gets narrow after a mile and then you can float okay. If I go back I want to see about 500+ flowing out the bottom and a few hundred at the top would be nice, too. High flows like 800 or 1000 would be kinda' gnar at the cruxes IMO, but I'm a newby, and it certainly would make the 4 miles of class I-II at the bottom go faster.

In the end I'd wait at least another couple of weeks. Where are you coming from anyway? I'm in Denver and I'd go again if you're looking for more folks.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004   #4
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
When I ran it last year it was 1000 at the takeout and 700 at the put-in. I thought it would be pushy gnar-gnar with big holes but was pleasantly suprised that it was much easier than I expected. Even Damnation Alley went smoothly. At that level the run really reminded me of Idaho, big waves and clean clear water. Just remember to bring LOTS of mosquito repellant!
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004   #5
oh yeah
650 was ideal for our raft. watch the flow peak and then catch it as it drops. the folks at the campground are great. also check out the free hotspring nearby. your committed once your in though a trail runs the length of it. also, be heads up for the couple of miles after damnation, its pretty continous.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote