Old 05-20-2008   #1
Ft Collins, Colorado

I know this is dreamin', but the Encampment is coming up big time - over 600 at the put in and 1300 at Encampment. Hate to waste all that water. Does anyone have news on the roads in??

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sorry dude, but this happens every year and you can't get in there until early-, mid-June usually. Here's the usual scenario of why it doesn't work...five to ten miles from the put-in your trip stops at a 200 yard long, eight feet deep snow drift.

Hang in there. There's plenty of water up higher still waiting to come down and you'll be able to still hit it at high levels once the road is clear. You're absolutely right that the current level is awesome.

The best people in the know now that the Lazy Acres place has different owners (you could still try them I guess) would be the forest service or Steamboat boaters.

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3
saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
not quite yet

the roads are getting better but there are still a few drifts. We were sledding in there about two weeks ago but i'm sure after this weeks warm temps it'd be more of a pain than anything else. we are getting in and out at bennett peak so it shouldn't be to long. I'll be up there the next few days and keep you all posted on the trudge in. there are always a few good ol' boys around here who like breakin' trail for the heck of it. i spoke with a few of them yesterday over lunch and they're going to be working on it also. i've got a few guides coming up in the next week to start getting things ready and am banking on the first week of June if temps hold out.

You can call mark at the trading post right there between riverside and encampment and he'll let you know the scoop. 307-327-5720 or 5927. he's an avid rafter and always in the know. the boys from steamboat might have a hard time getting over here for awhile. those around here who work at 3forks are still driving around to walden to steamboat then up to 3forks... about a 3 hour drive.

don't rely on that bottom guage for info on the upper. That 1300 reading is at the confluence of the platte and about 9 miles downstream of the oddfellows take out. I'm sure both minor cricks are dumping in a good head of water along with the east forkof the encampment but not enough to bring it up past 800. I've floated riverside to treasure the past few days and it might be 800 at that put in which is 2 miles downstream of the ww take out. the north fork of the encampment is crankin right now but the town takes most of the that water so it never hits the encampment... but what does is below the oddfellows take out anyway so that doesn't help either. call mark for info
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #4
Ft Collins, Colorado
RM -

Thanks for the info. Now for the next question: is there a good source for hiring shuttle drivers in Encampment? I appreciated the service the Crazy Horse provided. They were so easy to deal with and totally reliable.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote