Old 06-28-2006   #1
emergency float trip help!

hey - looking for weekend plans - can leave fri, come back tuesday. looking for III or less float trip with wife and dog. is the lake fork of the G flowing? the gauge reads N/A - does that mean no water? trying to stay away from pumphouse, escalante/whitewater, ruby/horsetheif, etc. - any other ideas? anyone done stuff high on green river? north platte below northgate? little snake? rio grande? san juan?

are there any non-crowded permitless non-ranchland easy runs someone would share with me??

thanks in advance - S

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #2
Gnarnia, Colorado
You could check out the Green River below Flaming Gorge. The top section right below the dam (the A section) will be busy with fishermen but once you get past that you'll start to see less people. The fishing is excellent. The scenery is very nice and it's a good trip.

Or you can float all the way to the Lodore put-in.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #3
west slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Float Plans???

Ruby/ Horse is lots of fun, but often crowded. We went this past weekend met someone at the put in and camped with them...good times. Very cool people. Escalante- Whitewater fun too; less campground choices, but Dominquez is beautiful!!!! Good Luck!
jahmon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Depending on how far you want to go for class I-II... There is an easy run way up on the green near its headwaters. You can put in just below the green river lakes outside of pinedale WY, and run down quite aways. AW site says 12 miles, but if you want more flatwater, you can go down to highway 189 which is probably another 20 miles. There are intermediate access points and some campsites along the river you can drive to, but its not roadside. Kinda pretty, especially near the lakes. Not much beta on it as I haven't done it. I only know of it because my Aunt lives near there. If you go that far up there is also some easy water on the snake river near jackson hole. The run below the tetons themselves is only class II suposedly, but you will have to watch for wood which tends to collect on the braided river islands. There are runs below as well. Definately scenic as hell! Don't know about dog regulations.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #5
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
last reading from the lake fork was gettin down below 400 :( Ive never done it that low, and Im pretty sure that snowpack is gone with the wind.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #6
I liked the suggestion of doing the Green River, but if you want to avoid crowds I'd put in at Little Hole and float to Lodore. Section A below the dam is very busy,and the river's not too big so it seems as though you are always running into someone. Another river that is closer and yet uncrowded is the Colorado between State Bridge and Pinball. See the forum from week or two ago about this section of river, there are some good campsites on BLM land and several different options for access.
Jack Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #7
float trip

thanks all - good info - i think we're down to gunny gorge, flaming gorge res. down, or colo. below state bridge, as suggested above -

however, i'm still curious about other non-busy float trips. i'm sure people may be reluctant to give up info and give away their gems, but most of this stuff is on the net anyways....

so - when the hell does the rio grande run, and how is the lobots bridge run??? sounds good from what i've read. anyone?

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote