Old 11-06-2006   #1
electrical tape and H2O?

The fiberglass on my paddle shaft has turned grayish and seems to be degrading and slivering off...I considered using duct tape to cover it but realized it'll turn into a gummy mess over time. Anyone know if electrical tape will hold up? Any other suggestions? Reasons for this travesty? After several days of forearm rashes I have developed a near-pathalogical dislike of my formerly favorite paddle.

Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Try these:

They hold up well & won't disappear like wax. I have one on my creek paddle (just the power hand), and they're the only thing I found that works well with or without gloves. I've also inserted a thin strip of foam under the middle knuckles for some home-made indexing. They usually hold up to a few seasons, so one pair will probably last the life of the paddle, if you just place one only on the power hand.

Manly chest; free-of charge with purchase:

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #3
Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Refinish your paddle

I would refinish your shaft. Sand with 200 or 400 grit, very lightly. Then mix up some epoxy, and paint it on. If you don't feel comfortable find a friend who has some experience fixing surfboards, and ask him to do it.
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #4
Nice pic, but are you sure your wax isn't disappearing because you keep using it on your chest?

I'll check out the grips; thank you. And I like the index idea -- that's actually where the electrical tape idea came from. But I need to cover the entire shaft; both arms are getting rashy. If I go the epoxy route won't that make things slippery?
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #5
pnw, Washington
lol, ouch!
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote