Old 05-05-2014   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sweet, it sounds like Gary is going to probe it for us.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
LOL KSC. I've ran that rapid 200 times. After talking to Noble, it sounds like the second drop is a lot different with no slowing down in between 1 and 2. Noble says you would have to do his plug line (which sucks, lol) than roll and get it on. 3rd drop everyone seems to be correct on a thin LZ although most of the water pushes you where you want to be. I haven't stood there and looked but Forrest has the most runs down eldo and says it's a little sketchy. I'll be out soon and hopefully we can get on it.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #13
Independently Wealthy

I know Harmon is good to go but someone just needs to be first the probe and the Lemmings will follow. It's a clean line just much thinner than before, sort of how it was in 1990.
Here is what happened this year. The entire entrance is a single line now instead of 2 channels which makes it look easier but way faster. The main hole looks meaner because river left instead of exiting into a channel is now an eddy that backs back into the hole. The river left line is gone and I know most people used to love that line. It was pretty much the line you had to take if you totally stuck the boof perfectly like Gary E does. I love the plug it line on river right which mystery moves you into a resurface like the Hunt for the Red October and usually stuffs you down that right channel. Today that is the only channel for the last drop.

Most of the water that used to go down the left channel used to cascade over the last drop creating a pretty wide curtain. Wide enough that Sean Lee would even run it on far river left and end up in that cave chilling like a villian.

All of the flow goes down the river right so you don't get half the river spilling and pooling up on river left at the bottom of the drop to help cover up that landing rock. The Landing Pool for that last drop has been eroded out so the flow now just exits and keeps going downstream without pooling up. The landing pool is probably a solid 2-3 lower than previous years. I have plugged the last drop in the past and hit bottom with my bow and that was with 2-3 feet more water in the pool.

So the big question is will you bowpin there or did the landing pool get deeper as well as lower? I think it is good to go?? but we need to get someone standing there to extract the probe asap if it's no good. If the boat actually pitons pretty solid in there it could be super bad for the probe. I don't think the rock in the LZ makes any difference and that doesn't worry me at all. It's all about that pool depth. Maybe at higher flows the water will not exit the LZ as quick and the landing pool will be perfect.
Anyhow I want to run that thing soon so someone needs to get in there and fire it up like Kern did back in 1994 when we were all scared of bowpinning in there with our Prijon T Canyons.
deforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #14
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Looks good...

I saw it today it looks runnable. The line I see is a left to right mank traverse across the tongue, bashing the rock in the landing with your stern and into the eddy with the cave....then, turn around and peel-out...
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #15
Boulder, Colorado
i think you could plug the spout on the right, but the question is, "Is it deep enough?". Maybe we should send an 8 foot log of it and see if it pitons.

Whitewater Tube Co. is offline   Reply With Quote