Old 07-08-2011   #1
El Bronco!

I figured I would post a reminder for the hardcore playboaters [is that an oxymoron?] that there's a badass feature on Clear Creek between Federal and Pecos known as El Bronco. I'm not sure how it is at current levels, but I saw it a couple of years ago around 1,000 and it looked really damn good. I can't remember how the eddy service was, seems like it was poor, so, a rope along the shore may help. The eye candy isn't as good as Golden, but the hole is way better. Has anyone been hitting it lately?

Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #2
Is El Bronco above the train tracks?

Google Maps

robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Thats the one

Thats the right hole on the google map...

access is kind of funny... you can drive into the south side river left, but its marked no tresspass by the railroad.
we jumped the fence from the indutrial park on the north side last time I was there...

this is not a beginner is bank to bank with only one exit on the river left side. eddy service is actully good if you're quick

EL Bronco rides again!

Juan De Confluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #4
Anyone up for afterwork tonight? I'd love to hit it but not alone (at least the first time )
Old 07-08-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I just scouted[ by bike] and photoed most of the sweet drops and the dangerous ones from Coors to the gnarly dam/falls apx. one mile below El Bronco today at 1400 + rain today.Here's a rundown from top to bottom;

1] .7 miles above Youngfield 3 ft. apx .low head dam of death

2] .5 miles above Youngfield long manky rapid with ledge hole near the end,seems to be a combination of natural rock and junk concrete.Hard to scout or see the whole thing due to trees on bank .At this level V ,at 900 4+/5-,I'll wait for 600, IV- mank.

Fast flat to Kipling except one non technical III'ish drop/set of waves.Kipling bridge may be too low.One other bridge might be too low if it goes up.Did not ride from Kipling to Wadsworth.

3]Wadsworth ! Class V rapid at this level.Three tongues lead directly into a massive pile that looks like it would stuff a kayak or flip a raft.I don't think it is a keeper,but big and sticky looking and a beat down waiting to happen.It is followed almost immediately by a nearly riverwide diagonal wave that might typewriter you into a wall,followed immediately by another big wave[hole?] that is impossible to get a good look at ,it's way under the bridge and wide.The runout against the concrete wall/cliff is long fun looking III rollers and choppy waves.My line at 900,punch the right corner of the first hole and gut the rest is gone,as is Andy's staging eddy to put in next to the first hole.As bad as this sounds a really strong playboater might want to look at this and wait for it too drop a little.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
just wrote and lost a long post detailing the run down to the gnarly falls.Guess I am to long winded.Here is a more succinct version.Drove and biked to different spots so still some gaps.

Big Kahuna at 44th,straightforward steep ramp with big wave/hole . Clean runout. III

Tennyson obvious line and some Plan B options,but full of wood and concrete .Rewards not worth risk.Probable portage.KEEPS CHANGING.

Lowell death dam portage .nice section of waves follows.

El Bronco ,big dog play.Looks like a low head on approach,uniform river wide ledge,but no little walls at end boxing it in .Small escape tongue on left and maybe right corner.A big sticky turbulent pile covers 3/4 s of the creek width.Falls 1/4 mile down.

Railroad Tie falls 'river wide railroad tie dam split into channels by trees/strainers.This is unrunnable ,real nasty hole, now,or a small vertical [5-7 ft.] falls or big boof when the hole is lower/tamer on the right.

Big gnarly dam/ falls ,20 ft.ish sliding mank full of roostertails followed by mean river wide hole ,maybe a keeper.Portage obviously.
Old 07-09-2011   #7
Denver, Colorado
5 more good runnable drops below here[ 1/2 mile west of Broadway] to the So. Platte.
Old 07-09-2011   #8
photoed most of the sweet drops
where are the pics?
Old 07-09-2011   #9
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Google earth...
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #10
Denver, Colorado
Robanna.I took a lot of pics but am having some technical difficulties.My friend loaned me a sweet camera but can't find his charger and usb[?] cable.will post 'em when we get it straightened out.As far as El Bronco at 1400+ it looks like Don's pics plus another 300 to 400 cfs,guesstimating.