Old 04-04-2011   #1
Fort Smith, NT
EDGE KING BIG AIR COMP on the Slave River

Here's an update for all you good folks in the South

As you may have already heard there is going to be a big water freestyle competition on the Slave River this summer. The plan is to have the event take place on the largest possible feature at the time of the event. What this feature will be? Who knows, but it is likely to be one of the following: (from highest levels to lowest) 1,2,3 Wave, Sweet Spot, Monster Schizer, A random giant wave with no name, The Edge, Rollercoaster, Rockem Sockem, Low water Monster Schizer, Outrageous (front wave). Pelican could be an option too we'll see. There is 1000$ in the purse for the top three, and the winner will go home with an Edge King Crown (stay tuned for photos of that gem).

Anyways, the idea of competition is pretty simple. We tried to keep the rules in a format that would allow for a really big show, and that would open the field to a wider range of skill levels. Didn't get an invite to the Whitewater Grand prix? Well don't worry, if you can do wave tricks reasonably well then you should be alright. We don't have a crazy elaborate registration process for the time being so sign up at the public facebook event page here:!/event.php?ei ... 5118735389

Well the points/ rules break down as follows:

It doesn't matter if you flush or not, this point system is to promote going huge and to the progression of freestyle. It is based on a 5 point system where your 3 best tricks count. Also you only get scored for the same trick once.

-0.5 point tricks
shove its

-1 point tricks

-2 point tricks
back roundhouse
donkey flip/ silly flip
flip turn

-3 point tricks
pan am
flash back(back blunt)

-4 point tricks
Back Pan am
pistol flip/ mc nasty

-5 point tricks
-trophy moves Ex. wave monkey, Bear screw

This is the basic point breakdown for each move, but bonus points are awarded as well

stuck(stayed on wave) -1 point

Big - 1 point
Huge -2 points
*big and huge are up to the discretion of the judges

linked -1 point, added to the sum of the two moves done

Clean -1 point, with the exception of 0.5 point moves where they are awarded 0.5

Also you can only score once for a move (we will score your best of that move though).

Heres a couple of examples

back pan am- big to stuck

4 point trick
1 point big
1 point stuck

total of 6 points

-Clean Spin- stuck

0.5 point trick
0.5 point clean
1 point stuck

total of 2 points

-Kay- y (blunt to pistol flip)- flushed

2 point trick(blunt)
4 point trick (pistol flip)
1 point link

total of 7 points

Heats are done with groups of paddlers in a session for 30 minutes (or longer depending on the feature) to narrow down on finalists for a final heat. You only get 30 seconds on the wave 45 (or longer depending on the feature) if you are doing tricks, someone will be blowing a whistle at you when your time is up.

Other prizes include best beatdown, best single trick, and maybe a smattering of others like smoothest style, most erratic style, a random "you're great/ terrible have a prize," prize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poster2011big-airsmall-for-.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	3400  

Oneriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
Hell yeah! I'm there. This is the best competetion/ kayaking festival ever and everyone should think of making the trip up to the Slave for at least a couple of weeks to explore. The slave is great for ALL ability levels. John didn't mention that there are incredible competitions for beginners as well. Check out the event from last year.

Slave River Paddlefest - Fort Smith Paddling Club
gnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #4
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Johnny, you have forgotten that this is mostly colorado paddlers in this forum, and as you yourself pointed out, most of them can't roll, let alone surf. You got to push those beginner races. Heck, tell them about the swim race! That'll be a huge hit with the front range paddlers, especially. Here. I'll do a little advertising for you:

Hey front rangers, I know you love to swim rapids, because I see it all the time, but imagine a wonderful land where swimming didn't involve wrestling with sharp rocks. That land is the Slave! Warm water and smooth rocks. No sieves, no wood, and no crowds of western slope boaters laughing at you. Come to the Ft. Smith paddlefest and compete in the world famous swim race through the playground rapid. Or the beginner race.

Wait, I haven't checked yet. The swim race is still on, right? That was my favorite event from 2009.

Now, western slope paddlers:

Imagine if the mwave wasn't like 6 inches deep and freezing cold. Imagine that land you see in your playboating dreams, where there is a gigantic river and every wave is a good surf wave. That land you imagine is the Slave. Come to the Big Air competition. It will rock. I'll still beat you, but you'll enjoy it.
leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #5
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I thought all the coloradans stopped paddling once they legalized dispensaries.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #6
Fort Smith, NT
Glen there is no "no loops allowed," rule, but some of these features make it difficult or damn near impossible to loop. So I don't want to say no loops allowed but I can assure you it will be 99.99% loop free.

Yeah, swim race is still on, and for those who want to step it up a notch we have a beach ball race too.

Also new this year is "canoe feats of strength."
Old 04-05-2011   #7
Fort Smith, NT
Now introducing "duel buzz," the online forum where you can call people out.

Leif I challenge you to a swim through The Edge,

Other people who I don't know. I challenge you to drive for 25 hours to a damn cool river. Just think for everybody west of Kansas the Slave is closer then the Ottawa.
Old 04-05-2011   #8
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002

I'm sad that no loops are allowed as that was going to be my entry move into the Edge... in my creeker.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy

DanC is offline   Reply With Quote