Old 06-25-2009   #1
3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Eddyline Brewery in BV....Excellent!

Today while in Buena Vista at the play park I decided to run down to South Main and check out this new development I read about here on the Buzz. Its a pretty neat neighborhood built for white water people by white water people.

Anyway, I skeptically approached the Eddyline Brewery and Restaurant, which just opened, and checked out their menu. Seemed pretty descent so I went in.
NOTE: I typically don't write reviews, BUT the food, the service and the environment and their Cherry Wheat Beer........YUM! I had the "Class 4" burger with green chili's. The burger appeared to be hand pattied and was pretty thick. They cook it to your liking. It was the best burger I have had in years. I wanted to eat two of them but was full. I'm not a big brew pub patron or expert, but the cherry wheat was pretty refreshing, tasted good and didn't leave a nasty after taste like a few brew pub beers I've tasted in the past. The waitress was very nice and surprisingly knew the rivers flow and a little about one of the waves down in the park.
It was an experience, honestly, I didn't expect! If your in the BV area do a "drive-by" on the brewery and check it out. I think you'll go in and have the same great experience I had.
Oh by the way my bill was about $15 with tax title and license...ha!
Again, I apologize if you think this is SPAM, I just wanted to give these guys kudos on a great job/product. You would be re-mist if you didn't visit them during your next trip to BV.
Can't wait to get back,

Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #2
Eagle,CO .... BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I am glad you had a good experience.

I found the service to be surly/spotty at best. The beer was decent and the food was good but not properly cooked. I have been there twice and had similar results. I will not be giving them anymore of my money.

Ron Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I've eaten at Eddyline three times. Service was not great, but good enough, especially given that two of the three times was during their opening week when they were packed.

Food was good, and I'd consider the beers to be very good. I brew my own beer, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Eddyline is a nice addition to a town that severely lacked in good eats.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Ron Rupert View Post
I found the service to be surly/spotty at best. The beer was decent and the food was good but not properly cooked. I have been there twice and had similar results. I will not be giving them anymore of my money.
Ron, good luck with eating at all of the other awesome restaurants in BV!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #5
Paddling Since: 96
I'm surprised anyone would describe the service as "surly" there. Its a new place that has been full every night since it opened so I could see how there might be some growing pains leading to "spotty" service. This is a family owned and managed restaurant. They aim to please. Any comments I've ever heard about the wait staff are along the lines of what a great team they pulled together.

I've paddled with the owner (the head brew master) and my only complaint about him is that he doesn't get on the rio more often. Really good guy. One of the bar tenders is a great guy/boater and my conversations with him are always about what obscure class 5 runs he's done and what rio we might catch together. My kind of staff!

The pub donates a dollar from every beer and brewed root beer sold after 6 on Monday nights (when they show movies of paddling and other outdoor sports) to the river park. There's now a new climbing boulder on the square within view of the bar that judging from its first day's use is going to be a big hit. My Wednesday afternoon paddling group now looks forward to finishing our run with a beer there. Tuesday is local's day with 20% off everything but drinks. My issue with the food is trying to avoid eating there too often.

IMO, this place is what you want in a local establishment. You can't please everyone but they sure are doing enough right to keep a lot of people happy. I'm damn glad the place is there.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #6
3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Sorry you had those bad experiences but I think it was probably the exception. I've only ate there once and will definitely return soon. But in their defense everyone around me seemed to be getting great service and enjoying the food as well, and the rest. was packed.
Its my hope that if you do decide to go back that your experience will be better. Those I've talked to about Eddyline have had a great experience thus far. Like all new rest. they, I'm sure, will start to really fine toon and tweak the rest. to be even better. But one this is for sure, the staff was always smiling and seemed to be enjoying the work and service.
Eddyline folks, if you read this.........keep up the great job in exceeding the customers expectations!
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #7
, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Our family has eaten there three times and the service has been great each time we have eaten there. We have also been impressed with the food. I have tried something different each time and have been satisfied with the serving size and quality of the food. We spend a fair bit of time in BV throughout the year and we are stoked that Eddyline has come to town as it is a great addition to the places to eat in BV. I have also tried two or three of their darker beers and they have also been great. We are just anxiously some killer green chili to hit the menu this would be a great addition for those cold and wet days and also throughout the fall and winter. Now, one would think if you also, have a restaurant in Socorro, New Mexico that you’ve got to have some good green chili recipes …. (and no we don't have anything to do with the Eddyline other than being satisfied customers...)
one_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #8
Eagle,CO .... BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I went there to see you!

But instead I got to deal with a very unprofessional bartendress. One beer was pored with the proper half inch of head and the other was overflowing with no foam. I would of been fine if it would of been consistent. Coasters(napkins) thrown on the bar with the pints no where close to the mark. Then she turned around to talk to other staff about how their day went. I may be nitpicking but I expected better service, particurally from a new place charging top dollar for a beer. I have looked forward to having our own brewery in BV. I just feel badly that it is to cool for me. I guess I will have my dinners at Jan's. The best service in town and the food is good. I recomend the Mt Man with FF and gravy.
Sorry for the negative input but I could not stand by and listen to how INCREDABLE the Brewery is.
Ron Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm not sure I can trust a review from someone who would order a cherry wheat beer. On a similar spam note Upslope IPA in a can dominates (if you can find it).
mulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #10
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
That's funny! It is true you can't please everyone all the time and it sounds like they were not 100% professional the night you went. Still, to rate a place on the proper head may be appropriate for beer snobbery, but seems a little out of place here in BV.

I checked them out today for lunch and was happy with the service and my Burger. The IPA I had was good, along with the porter I had there after the Thomas Jefferson presentation a couple of weeks ago. I am sure I will be back in as I am a beer snob on flavor. I too brew my own and just want good tasting beer.

Personally, I am not a fan of Jan's. I have always been disappointed with their food so I do not give them any business anymore. Global Garage is good and Quincy's for prime rib is decent once and a while. I think I will add the Eddie Line to the list.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote