Old 03-26-2012   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
EddyFlower Update

Hello EddyFlower users,
We have completely resolved the security issue and have moved to a larger server just in time for the spring paddling season. Registration for the Sixth Annual EddyFlower Vertical Challenge is OPEN. We have two windows to participate this year from April 1st through May 2nd on the East coast and May 15th through June 15th on rivers throughout the Rockies and the West coast. Please visit Eddy Flower for more details.

See you on the river!

bellucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The flows page doesn't seem to be updating the value of the gauges.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Many of the USGS and DWR gauges operate seasonally, which is why the values are not as current. They should be back online soon.
bellucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #4
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Many of the gauges that should be operating last updated on Eddy Flower on march 21. If you click through to USGS you get different current values. Seems broken.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree. There are issues with some of the Eddyflower gauges. For example, in the Arkansas basin the seasonal gauges are not back up and running yet (below Granite, Nathrop, Parkdale), but the EF links page shows 241,244 and 424 respectively. However, none of these values are correct. If you click on the USGS link it will show these gauges are not even functioning at the moment.

Could cause a problem if someone drives any distance to boat and the flow reading is incorrect.....personally I liked it when it showed 0 if the gauge was off...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #6
Everyone needs a vacation
Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I like Eddyflower and the Vertical Challenge, but what is going on? Now all the flows are from November 2011... sort it out or get some help!?!
BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #7
Vail, CO, Colorado
I can't seem to get the eddy flower site load at all...anyone else?
bradski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, it's been down for several days - I think a virus thing again.

I've decided to just switch over to Riverbrain to replace Eddyflower. Their run list is still a little thin, but it's a wiki-type setup so you can add rivers and runs yourself. When I think of something new I want to track, if it's not there I add it and put it on my favorite's list. It only takes a minute to add the river/run and associated gauge.

I like the interface - so far so good. In my own self interest, I suggest everybody else does the same... in no time we could get a huge catalog of runs up there.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #9
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
I still get the Chrome warning that contains malware. Justin, if that is straightened out, please contact Google to get a clean bill of health from them. I hope you get the site back up.

In the meantime, another option for run descriptions is to use Its easy to become a Streamteam volunteer, then add or edit the run descriptions; just ask them.
American Whitewater - Volunteer with American Whitewater
You don't have to be a paying member.

If you don't want to bother becoming a streamteam volunteer, you can still log comments for a run; such as a river hazard, a different gauge, good levels, or whatever (I used to do that on eddyflower with "trip reports" on the run descriptions, because they could be edited).

They are also interested in kayaking photos, which are helpful to document river use. Here is something from the link above.
"Do you like to take pictures of the runs you do? Do you write about your rivers and experiences? Upload photos to the American Whitewater Photo Library. Join the American Whitewater StreamTeam. The StreamTeam Project is the way that American Whitewater lets its members share their knowledge about rivers with the paddling public, river managers, and policy makers. It is a grass-roots online database of river information that is continually updated and improved. Our river database is one of the most comprehensive geospatial databases of any outdoor recreation activity. Your direct first-hand knowledge recorded in our database, gives us a unique ability to quickly and efficiently respond to new threats and opportunities. Great photos are invaluable in documenting and illustrating our use of rivers. When we have brought direct evidence of our use of particular rivers, hydro power projects have been stopped, management plans have been changed, and elected officials have considered our interests in legislation . This is only possible when volunteers step up to provide the information. The more you contribute, the more effective we can be."

From the little involvement I have had with them, it appears they could really use help with the run descriptions, optimal flows, etc. Its a pretty cool interface.

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote