Old 04-04-2012   #21
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Ok, I'll point out the elephant in the room- you're on someone else's paddling site (Buzz), complaining and pushing your paddling site (EF). Just seems kinda odd considering your tone.

My suggestion- gut the site and return it to what it was before you took over and broke it. Yeah, its free but didn't you buy it and are running paid adverts on it? Must be some other reason other than simple philanthropy for you to invest your time and money in EF.

I'm sorry your hit counts (and subsequent advert kickbacks) are down. Build it right and they will come, the potential is/was there. EF's history proves that.

Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Eddyflower is a great resource when working properly. Is it reasonable to expect one site to provide everything you need to know ? I t may be old school but Watertalk still works great for checking levels on mulltiple runs locally if you know the station numbers and are familiar enough with the area to extrapolate some. Never used Riverbrain or Dreamflows will check them out. Is having to use multiple free resources so terrible?

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #23
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
Anyone bitching because they can't get their flow beta from a website about run descriptions is doing their research all wrong. USGS and NOAA have all of the flow planning tools you really need, and it takes half the time to check flows via Water Watch than it does clicking on each run description at Eddyflower/River Brain/American Whitewater.
Thanks Kyle, I was not aware of I see there are state maps, and regional maps.
USGS WaterWatch -- Streamflow conditions

But I think the Eddyflower/AW/Dreamflow approach is still useful, defining boatable flows in some way (Low/Med/High for example); as long as those levels are well defined. I click on a bookmark for the eddyflower state summary, not the individual runs. Or you can customize a page with your favorite runs, in multiple states. I always thought the Low/Med/High levels on eddyflower should be visible, like the Trigger Levels on Dreamflows (sharing more info would probably result in more feedback, and more accurate info in the long run). And ideally, there would be info about changes in difficulty at higher levels. WWotSR does a great job with that.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #24
Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I hate to bring up a sore subject (that being Eddyflower), but any chance the website will be up for sale when the domain expires next year? Looking at the website's performance ( Analysis ) is really pathetic, and people are pretty vocal about losing this valuable resource. It'd be nice to get the site in the hands of someone who can give it the TLC it needs.
Good job on this site, BTW ( Analysis )nice price tag
Stuntmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #25
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Eddy Flower is back up.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #26
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
Eddy Flower is back up.
It was up and down for awhile, but now if you go there with Google Chrome it triggers Malware warnings again. So it is infected yet again, according to Google. Keep your anti-virus, anti-spyware, Windows Updates updated, if you ever attempt to go there (should do that anyway).

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote