Old 09-28-2007   #11
Hey dq,

I agree with you that one does NOT need to suffer or stray far from the beaten path to get great class IV, IV+ and V in Ecuador, but since "lotsawater" seemed to want more than what we list in the guidebook, I figured he was looking for that sort of thing...

But, as you mentioned there are tons of great and challenging runs that you can do via bus shuttle--it's a great country to paddle in. The Quijos and Tena Valleys have the most concentrated whitewater, but the Western Slope is great too.

Contact Small World Adventures for more info.

Ecuador kayaking, whitewater rafting, river whitewater adventures - Small World Adventures!
(970) 309-8913

darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #12
If you don't run the Upper Papallacta in the Quijos Valley you're a complete wuss. Make sure the water is boomin' too.

And if I here any more of that ice cream lameness you're RCRE tryout is cancelled.

Have fun man! The Jondachi is one of the world's classics, right up there with Big South, Vallecito, Green, NF and Little White.

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #13
Originally Posted by lotsawater View Post
Heading south this winter to break up the monotony of rippin' in thigh high powder, and I want some beta. The guide book seems to be chalk full of class IV water but not a lot of good class V coverage. I was wondering if any of you have been down there exploring.

I'm going for a honeymoon/kayking trip, so beta on the lifestyle activities would be appricieated as well.

Ok, Ok, I just feel the need to post one more clarifying reply.
I'm sure you've already learned a lot from other people, but just in case you are still wondering.

As dq said, you don't need to suffer to paddle good whitewater in Ecuador. Check out the IV+/V runs we list in our guidebook.

Check out the Upper Jondachi--it really is world class, the Topo, the Huaturaco, the Pusuno, the upper upper Mishualli, the Papallacta, Cheesehouse section on the Quijos, and the Oyacachi (do the 2-day section from the town of Oyacachi if you really want something hard).

If you get on all these runs, it will have been an outstanding trip! If you still want more, go over to Santo Domingo and check out the Sarapullo, and parts of the PIlaton and Toachi.

You can find detailed info on all these runs in THE KAYAKER'S GUIDE TO ECUADOR which it sounds like you already have.

Have a great trip!

darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote