Old 11-18-2004   #11
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
yo ben, i haven't paddled costa so don't know how it compares...ecuador kicks serious ass, as does the crew at SMALL WORLD(Nancy was a super guide as well...) Larry, i'd like to bring a group if my highschool punks somewhere... the CRESTED BUTTE ACADEMY encourages travel...many of them ski race so winter is tricky....i'll get back with many would i have to bring down to make it cost effective...glad to see you are still hittin the rios!

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #12
I paddled in Costa Rica on my way to Ecuador the first time, and wished I hadn't wasted those valuable kayaking days with my stopover. Costa Rica does have great rivers, BUT several of the major runs are really really polluted, there are way more rafting crowds, and it is lots more expensive. I found that there more variety in Ecuador as well. The area of Ecuador that has the best paddling isn't really much of a tourist destination outside of the boating world. I really like this, as the local culture and economy hasn't been totally transformed to accommadate a bunch of gringos passing through.

boaterbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #13
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
Yes, you are correct boaterbetty....plenty of boaters, plenty of rivers and creeks....good adventure to be had...after an epic climb(my first real mtn climb) i stood atop a large mtn(chimbo, 20,172ft) was as close to the sun as you can get standing on your feet...yes, closer that you can get by standing on EVEREST( if you mtn buzz-ards have trouble understanding this, ask another geologist!).. 2 days later i was running LAND OF THE GIANTS on the lower Mish....20,000+ feet of elevation drop.... from frozen world to parrots....kick ass place... lots to offer other than boatin'.... although boatin' is the main objective , right? right!
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #14
Ecuador has it all!

I just spent 25 out of the last 30 days paddling in Ecuador, and to answer some of your questions, Ecuador has it all! There is steep creeking, big volume river running, and more waves and holes than any play boater will know what to do with. The only problem is deciding which boat to bring (or rent)!
This is a perfect time to come down and paddle with us at Small World Adventures. It´s cold and snowy in the U.S. and the water levels are great down here right now. Like Larry mentioned, we have space on our pre-Christmas trip. Hope to see you soon!
Small World Guide
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #15
Ecuador is wonderful indeed. Beautiful WW and friendly folks. A few words of advice. Take the Rio Topo (out of Banos) seriously, less so at lower flows, but twice as much in spate! With stout flows it's a definite step up from anything on the Jondachi. It stomps! Prepare for a long day!
Further advice: Go climb a big volcano! Be prepared for high altitude conditions, but the summit of Cotapaxi is a highlight!

wolf is offline   Reply With Quote