Mountain Buzz banner

Ecuador Awesome

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  wolf 
#1 ·
Just got back from the most amazing paddling trip! Ecuador totally rocks- warm rivers and no crowds. Trying to fly with paddling gear is not worth it (see FAQ forum). Can rent good boats and paddles down there: smallworldadventures.com They also have an awesome base on the Quijos river.

#3 ·
i remember monster surf waves, numerous holes.....we were in class 5 mode when there.. and larry, don and alan h. were great guides....don beverage is a sick mutha....i have a guide book here if anybody wants some info...beware of the JUNGLE FACTOR!

#7 ·
Playin' in Ecuador

I suck at play boating myself, so didn't do much, but I am told that it is really good. They lower Mishualli definitely rocks. Don B ( who was referred to in one of the other messages) would be a good one to ask. He works at Small World, so could probably be contacted through that address.

#8 ·
if you want your creeking-ish/ play run look into the JONDACHI, outside of TENA....6 miles of steep 4-5 nectar(5 w/more h2o, zero flatwater!)...then 19 miles of 4-4+ish play.....cool run that flows into the AMAZON.....ecuador kicks ass but may be on the semi-sketchy side....as in any city...waatch yourself

#9 ·
Yea, the play is quite good, especially if you like some of it on the fly. World Class Kayaking Academy is on an every other year visit to Ecuador and that is there specialty. There are some good park and play spots but Ecuador is rightly known more for the creeking and river running though. Anyplace with the density of whitewater that occurs down here has to have it all. Hey Milo, the jungle and city factors have chilled since you were here. the volcanoes are even behaving themselves. When are you going to come back to paddle with Don, Darcy and me?

#11 ·
yo ben, i haven't paddled costa so don't know how it compares...ecuador kicks serious ass, as does the crew at SMALL WORLD(Nancy was a super guide as well...) Larry, i'd like to bring a group if my highschool punks somewhere... the CRESTED BUTTE ACADEMY encourages travel...many of them ski race so winter is tricky....i'll get back with you...how many would i have to bring down to make it cost effective...glad to see you are still hittin the rios! paddlefu@yahoo.com

#12 ·
I paddled in Costa Rica on my way to Ecuador the first time, and wished I hadn't wasted those valuable kayaking days with my stopover. Costa Rica does have great rivers, BUT several of the major runs are really really polluted, there are way more rafting crowds, and it is lots more expensive. I found that there more variety in Ecuador as well. The area of Ecuador that has the best paddling isn't really much of a tourist destination outside of the boating world. I really like this, as the local culture and economy hasn't been totally transformed to accommadate a bunch of gringos passing through.

#13 ·
Yes, you are correct boaterbetty....plenty of boaters, plenty of rivers and creeks....good adventure to be had...after an epic climb(my first real mtn climb) i stood atop a large mtn(chimbo, 20,172ft) was as close to the sun as you can get standing on your feet...yes, closer that you can get by standing on EVEREST( if you mtn buzz-ards have trouble understanding this, ask another geologist!).. 2 days later i was running LAND OF THE GIANTS on the lower Mish....20,000+ feet of elevation drop.... from frozen world to parrots....kick ass place... lots to offer other than boatin'.... although boatin' is the main objective , right? right!

#14 ·
Ecuador has it all!

I just spent 25 out of the last 30 days paddling in Ecuador, and to answer some of your questions, Ecuador has it all! There is steep creeking, big volume river running, and more waves and holes than any play boater will know what to do with. The only problem is deciding which boat to bring (or rent)!
This is a perfect time to come down and paddle with us at Small World Adventures. It´s cold and snowy in the U.S. and the water levels are great down here right now. Like Larry mentioned, we have space on our pre-Christmas trip. Hope to see you soon!
Darcy,
Small World Guide

#15 ·
Ecuador is wonderful indeed. Beautiful WW and friendly folks. A few words of advice. Take the Rio Topo (out of Banos) seriously, less so at lower flows, but twice as much in spate! With stout flows it's a definite step up from anything on the Jondachi. It stomps! Prepare for a long day!
Further advice: Go climb a big volcano! Be prepared for high altitude conditions, but the summit of Cotapaxi is a highlight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.