Old 01-08-2008   #1
pnw, Washington

Looks like several of you have gone to Ecuador this season. Did you guys get any of the shots that the CDC recommends? I have talked to some people who told me that they just checked for outbreaks and used mosquito repellant and went without any shots so I was curious what you guys did.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #2
We went last fall. I think it depends where you'll be traveling. I would strongly consider the shots if your going to the amazon basin. I recommend the strongest repellant you can find. After one night out near the river every person (gringo) in our group looked like they had polka dot socks on , and the itch was torture. If you need a driver out of Quito we had great one, well worth the price if you have a small group. also the Secrete Garden hostel is great (price and a bar on the roof overlooking Quito) and safe to leave your boats. Have fun and let me know what rivers you got to paddle, I'm looking forward to going back.

Ifloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #3
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Some of the outfitters who work down there recommend :
tetanus, hepatitis A, typhoid, yellow fever, and anti malarial drugs. I went two years ago and followed their advice. Its a wallop ~$300 at least where I am. And you have to get them ahead of time. BUT, I simply did not want to mess with the risk of yelllow fever and typhoid. HEPATITIS, sadly to say is a risk we take when surfing close to Mexico, *$&^@^# & once you have it, your liver is basically shot.

I DID not take the anti-malerial drugs, though like the previous poster, I was mosquito bit to hell. No malaria, but I wish I would have packed AND WORN some light tights on my legs in certain areas of Ec.
But enjoy it!
Other than the rivers, btw, one of the coolest things I did was a trip to an 'indigenous market' in Guamote, near the Volcan Chimbo, sort of. Only saw 3 gringos the day we were there. Thursdays, south of Riobamba.
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #4
pnw, Washington
Thanks for the help.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
Old 01-16-2008   #5
shots for Ecuador

Hey Greg,

Sorry I'm so late in replying, just saw your post.
We will not be paddling in HIGH risk malaria zones. It is definitely a personal choice, but none of us guides take malaria meds. I'd say about 50% of the people who come with us do, and 50% don't. We are super careful about not being on the river past dusk, we always have a shuttle driver waiting for us, and we know where we are going. So, in theory, we shouldn't ever be standing around the jungle acting like mosquito bait!

Typhoid is a good idea, and it's fairly cheap.

I would also recommend Yellow Fever. Again, we are not in a high risk area, but that is just something that is not worth messing with since, to date, they have no cure for it.

Everyone living in the US probably/should have Hep. A and B already, so you should be set there.

The only bugs that I consider somewhat of a problem in Ecuador are the annoying little ankle biter bugs. They are NOT dangerous, just annoying. BUT, you can easily avoid being bitten by wearing pants while boating. Anything will do: thin capeline pants, light weight nylon pants, or even just tall socks (they are ankle biters after all).

I hope this helps.

The water levels have been awesome down here, and we've had week upon week of excellent paddling. If you need anything to help you get excited about your trip, check out Small World Adventures--Kayak Ecuador

See you soon.
LarryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #6
pnw, Washington
Larry i am looking forward to it. Getting my Typhoid shot tomorrow and I was skipping the malaria due to the precautions that you guys take. Health officials here are running low on yellow fever shots and they think its ok to go to Ecuador without it since I am only travelling there.
Old 01-18-2008   #7
Hey Greg,

That all sounds good.

We'll see you in a couple of weeks. Weather and water are both perfect down here.

Check it out if you want to see:

Small World Adventures--Kayak Ecuador
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #8
pnw, Washington
They changed their minds so I will get the yellow fever as well.