Old 11-22-2008   #11
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The funny thing is the Chinese kid that ripped you off on eBay also made your Mountain Hardware jacket!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008   #12
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
haha true! everyone has to get theirs somehow...

just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #13
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992

Sorry, for the delay getting back w/ some of your requests. Work had me slammed with getting everything done before the long weekend.

Here's an update: I had a few back and forth conversations via the PayPal Resolution Center with the seller. More or less, he felt that because the boat could still float and that there was no damages that prevent it from floating making it structurally sound, that meant it was "NEW". I would have been really screwed if it was listed as "USED" and what his definition of "USED" would have meant!

I firmly challenged him on his position. He agreed to a partial refund, I believe after he realized I was just going to turn it over to PayPal and that they would easily judge in my favor. He offered a refund of $40. Which I feel is a joke, but accepted it because I was tired of dealing with this piss ant.

I had to recontact him again because the $40 refund had not been refunded. He replied, "you must first close the case as my pay pal account is frozen. I agree to the $40.00 refund. I am sorry for the problems that this has caused. If you need additional items - wetsuits, i can offer you a great price to help with this situation. Once my account is open - i will refund immed. JIM"

I checked on closing the case in order to get a refund. Wrong!! If I were to close the case it would be over for good and I would be left hanging. I told him that by paying the agreed to amount filed in the Resolution Center that PayPal would automatically close the case.

I've attempted to contact him again tonight on the meager $40 refund. If I don't have it by tomorrow, I'm going escalate the claim to PayPal and let them take over.

Here is his eBay site: eBay My World - activegear4less

I've not given him Feedback yet. I feel that by doing so, would put him a position of not working with me anymore. FYI, keep in mind that eBay now allows you to change your ID every 30-days.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
What a douschebag!
God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #15
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992

I opened my email this morning and I had a email from PayPal stating, "PayPal escalated this dispute to claim." A little strange, because I had not filed this case to the status of escalating dispute with PayPal yet. They must have been monitoring my case. His non response to my posts/requests must have red flagged my case.

Minutes later, I received another email from PayPal stating, "This claim has been decided in your favor and you'll receive a refund." I would be refunded my money within seven business days. I then checked my account and the money is already there.

Again, I never heard back from the seller after he told me to close the case, so he can refund me. This is PayPal's stand on closed cases, "This claim or case has been closed. A closed dispute cannot be reopened or escalated to a PayPal claim." I wonder what PayPal thought of his advising me to close the case first?

Moving on, I'm pleased with the Buyer Protection PayPal offers if paid via PayPal. In the end, I was protected! Otherwise, I would probably have ended up jaded and no longer would have used eBay over this high ticket item.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #16
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
"Coming from someone who has never bought or sold anything online"

Why did you agree to the $40 in the first place? HE RIPPED YOU OFF. Stick it to him so he will hopefully learn a lesson. The he tried to get you to stop the claim....ripping you off a second time!!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #17
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
I think that the seller still has all positive feedback. You should definitely post some negative feedabck.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #18
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
And realize ebay recently changed it's policy where sellers can no longer leave negative feedback to your account. It was a bright idea on their part, no doubt. So as a buyer, it gives you abit more control of the situation and able give honest feedback without fear of "retaliation" neg feedback from shitty sellers...even though you did nothing wrong. Too many guys like that on ebay were keeping their feedback high because of that threat. So, yeah, nail the POS to the wall.

Good luck with it all. Don't let it discourage you from future purchases online though. It's just important to be heads up too. For example, don't ever buy anything like a raft,kayak,ect without a ton of pictures of the actual rig. If they don't supply it then just walk away.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #19
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Paypal is sweet. They jack that money straight from his bank account! Did you send the boat back? You should f*c* it up a little more first. Write "NOT NEW" in sharpie on the tubes!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote