Old 06-07-2006   #1
Easy river trips near Salida?

My parents are tagging along with me to Fibark and they wanted me to ask around to see if there are any class II trips near Salida in case they wanted to bring their canoes along with us.
Any legitimate replies appreciated...however, flame away!!

nc_creeker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #2
pnw, Washington
dont know the exact putin/takeoutx but there are several runs around howard and valiie bridge

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The water is pretty high right now, and the standard "easy sections" are fast, with fewer eddies. I tried to do the easy stretch with my mom in an inflatable a couple weeks ago at similar water levels. She swam, I rescued her by having her grab my grab loop. If not for that she would have swam for a long time. Kind of scary. Had to chase the boat for 1/2 mile before I got it. If your parents are good and can handle it, there are stretches to do. It may be action though, because at higher water even the easy class II sections become fast and have larger waves than normal. Have fun!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #4
A few to consider:

Stone Bridge to Big Bend

Big Bend to Salida.

Both good class 2.

On the Big Bend to Salida stretch just look out for the lowhead dam. There is a huge pool above it and a sign directing you towards the boat chute on river left (class 2).

Stop by the AHRA State Parks office near the boat ramp in Salida for directions and a 'free' river map that shows the put in and take outs.

I have never paddled these sections because I only run class 7 but I hear they are good to go.

RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. After I mentioned that the water was high, they're kind of iffy about paddling now. Funny that cold water class II bothers them that much when they paddle the Nantahala (45*) o much here. I appreciate all the beta and I'll pass it along.
See y'all at Fibark!
nc_creeker89 is offline   Reply With Quote