Old 03-27-2009   #1
Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1969
Easy Canoe Recommendations & Rental Options

Hi all,

This is my first post on Mountain Buzz and I haven't paddled in Colorado in a few years but I spent several summers open boating all over the state - mostly class III/IV stuff.

I'm going to be taking over home schooling my 14 year old nephew for the first two weeks of April in Vail. He is currently reading a book about a boy that goes on a long canoe voyage. I would like to take him tandem canoeing on a real easy river (class I/II-) and am looking for options.

I consider myself an expert in a tandem canoe - I'm an ACA whitewater tandem instructor, for several years I took home a bunch of hardware from the Whitewater Open Canoe Slalom National Championships paddling tandem & solo, and once even paddled the Upper Gauley in a tandem boat. I will need to find a canoe to rent and it would be great if I found someone who would like to spend an afternoon out on the river with us. Where can I rent a canoe? As for rivers - I was thinking of the Glenwood Canyon from No Name to Glenwood. It has been so long since I've done that stretch that I can't remember if it would be appropriate. Are there sections of the Eagle, Ark, or Roaring Fork that anyone would recommend?

Am I crazy to be thinking of paddling this time of year? I'm not looking for a long paddle, 3 - 5 miles to give my nephew a taste of what it is like to be in a canoe.

Any information is greatly appreciate.

__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Its been a while since I floated the Glenwood section you mention but I think that would work. Maybe even grizzly creek rest area down as well, right below shoshonee. Also consider the Upper C right by you if there is enough flow.

I think rental might be tough, only kayak shops there I can think of are Alpine Kayak and Mountain Quest Sports, this is an outdated list but might help:

Canoe Rental Stores in and near Colorado

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #3
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
I think Red River canoe company rents em'. They are based in Moab and there is plenty of mellow boating on the Colorado.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #4
Reston, Virginia
Kayakfreakus - Thanks for the paddling shop information. I'll give Mountain Quest/Alpine Kayak a call.

Tiggy - Thanks for the information. I am hoping to say within two hours of Vail for an afternoon paddle.

Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #5
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

You might want to go to Rocky Mountain canoe club site. With your skills and with what you want to do, someone might lone you a boat or check out Canoe Colorado or Centennial canoe for possible rentals.

I have a 14' Probe I would let you use, but I am in the Front Range, 2 hours away, and there is no water to paddle around us yet. Not sure of your timing? However, if you are around when the poudre is running in May there is a 3-4 mile II+ section called Filter plant.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #6
Reston, Virginia
Thanks for all the help!

I've revised the plan and will take him canoeing when he visits me in the east. I've decided to take him on a raft trip with Red River Adventures out of Moab.

__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote