Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-21-2008   #11
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by benrodda View Post
We figured we would watch the weather and see if anything is going to blow through. I would imagine that the watersheds will more than likely not behave as they have historically, as the run offs from a storm might be really short. Or adversely may just suck everything up.

Unfortunately, it would take more rain than could possibly come between now and then to make things run reasonably. The ground is dried up and hard, so when it rains the water doesn't sink in. So the rivers flash up really quickly, and drop out almost as fast. Neither situation is good for getting to a river and having a safe paddle. Rain would help bolster the Green flow a little bit, and if the lake at the Gauley fills some the releases will get better. There's no significant rain in the 10 day forecast, though. So the rivers are dry, the trees are dying, and it's basically kinda depressing to go outside here right now.

If I was you, I'd shoot for doing the trip in the spring - like early April when Tallulah will be running and the Green will likely have better levels. Who knows, maybe we'll get some winter rains this year and things will be recovered by then. For now, I'd save your $4 gas and sit around the house waxing my skis if I was you.

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #12
longmont, Colorado
American Whitewater - Release_

Hit the Northeast and check out the Bottom Moose or even the Dead R. Should be plenty of water up there with the weekend releases. Good luck!

Originally Posted by benrodda View Post
We are looking for one or two Kayakers to join us on an East Coast kayaking trip. We depart from Denver on the afternoon of September 26 (Friday) and will return on the 5th of October (Sunday).Over the course of the 10 days we plan to run the following rivers: Chattooga, Green, Gauley, New/Dries, Ocoee, Rock Island, USNWC, and open to suggestions. We will be car camping out of the back of a truck for the majority of the trip. We anticipate the total cost for the gas to be $900.00 (maybe even lower) When you split that cost up your share will more will be anywhere from $200-300 plus food and beer. Here are a few requirements we have for the trip:
1. At the very least comfortable on class 4 and able to paddle class 5.
2. Able to help with driving.
3. Drug Free.... atleast for the duration of the trip...
4. Laidback and flexible. (some may argue you cant have number 4 without number 3)

If you have any questions respond here.

Thanks Ben and Drew

buck123 is offline   Reply With Quote