Originally Posted by benrodda
We figured we would watch the weather and see if anything is going to blow through. I would imagine that the watersheds will more than likely not behave as they have historically, as the run offs from a storm might be really short. Or adversely may just suck everything up.
Unfortunately, it would take more rain than could possibly come between now and then to make things run reasonably. The ground is dried up and hard, so when it rains the water doesn't sink in. So the rivers flash up really quickly, and drop out almost as fast. Neither situation is good for getting to a river and having a safe paddle. Rain would help bolster the Green flow a little bit, and if the lake at the Gauley fills some the releases will get better. There's no significant rain in the 10 day forecast, though. So the rivers are dry, the trees are dying, and it's basically kinda depressing to go outside here right now.
If I was you, I'd shoot for doing the trip in the spring - like early April when Tallulah will be running and the Green will likely have better levels. Who knows, maybe we'll get some winter rains this year and things will be recovered by then. For now, I'd save your $4 gas and sit around the house waxing my skis if I was you.