Old 04-27-2010   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Count this as another vote for central NY.

The bottom moose is unreal. There should be a release the first or second weekend in October for Moosefest. Saw someone race the whole thing in a sea kayak, including the 60 foot slide. I have never seen another rapid as visually impressive as Crystal.

That weekend they usually organize a release on the Black too. Good play leading to a good IV/V section.

Also nearby is the Independence. Short run with a couple of miles of more or less flat stuff leading to about the best mile of IV/V creek I've seen. 2 big slides, a couple of rapids and a couple of 6 foot drops right on top of each other. One of my favorites. Runs at a good range of flows too.

The Otter is kinda similar, IV/V creeky goodness.

Beaver's good too, but it runs in September not later, same with the Raquette.

scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #12
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2000
Lucas, here is a link to the releases on the Upper Yough:
Welcome To The Deep Creek Hydro Website
If you guys come out to WV, this is one I want to get on. I have been on the lower Yough in PA, but have never been on this classic section.

blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #13
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Will, we will DEFINITELY be hitting the Upper Yough, John has been chatting me up about the Upper for 2 years now. I hope you can join us out there for some of the trip.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #14
Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
Central, Northern, & southern NY always gets my vote that time of year. I also second the Raquette with the release and rain influence from lake colden down. But there is so much out there. Aquiduct alley on the Chazy river. The chateaugay, mettawee, John's brook, independence, the Branch etc. rain is your friend that time of year and typically you get some rain influence water sheds frequently.

don't forget canada is just a hop skip and jump away. The Rogue (7 sisters) Lachine chamblie but it starts getting cold that time of year up there.

Then like everyone says you have WV, Penn, Conn, Mass Vermont Maine NH all in less than a days drive except maine. thats a full day. good luck have fun and check out New York Explosed the Whitewater State Vol 1 and AW obviously....
" ...this is the hardest sport I've ever tried!!",E. Brown, 2003
jboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #15
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Thank you all for the continued beta, I am getting very jazzed for this trip. Definitely more whitewater than we can hit in 2 weeks. If any of you buzzerds are heading out around Gauley fest PM me and maybe we can coordinate our car caravan.

Keep the suggestions coming, would like to know suggestions for PA...
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #16
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Grand Canyon of the South!!!

While everyone else is suggesting heading north/east, I'd say make some time to check out the Russell Fork in Breaks Interstate Park, straddling the VA and KY border. We took off from the Gauley last fall and it wasn't too long of a drive (5 hrs?). The Russell Fork is serious creeking with a few really intense rapids (Fist, El Horrendo, Triple Drop), and to boot, some stunning scenery in a surprisingly deep canyon. I grew up in Louisville and had never even heard of this river. Who would have known?!
We went with some kayakers who helped guide us through the sketch sections; we R2'd and I'd easily say it was some of the most nail-biting balls-in-your-throat action I've seen. Fist is a fecking horrifying rapid; undercuts are everywhere, a handful of awesome drops, and a 30ft. some slide near the end that is as good as it gets. Couldn't say more about it, hope to make it back this fall again! Check it out, and go with someone who knows the stretch!
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #17
My Van, All of them
Paddling Since: 2006
I'll be out east this fall too. if you're looking for partners hit me up. Moosefest, raquette/beaver weekend for sure. gauley and yough, maybe. farther south also maybe in late october.\

Mamatron is offline   Reply With Quote