Old 08-12-2009   #1
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
East Boulder Creek cleanup this Saturday.

Hey fellow buzzards-

Low water season got you down? Looking for something to paddle other than Gore or Bailey this Saturday? Why don't you come out and run the EBC (East Boulder Creek) with us Saturday morning at 10:00 A.M.

Seriously…this is a volunteer opportunity for you Boulderites to come discover and help clean up one of Boulder Creeks most ecologically diverse, primeval and littered sections of Boulder Creek inside city limits!

This section of the creek starts just east of Foothills Highway and ends at 55th street. The creek meanders through native Willows, Cottonwoods and tall grasses. At each oxbow bend in the creek a significant amount of trash accumulates from upstream or Downtown Boulder.

We will be starting at 4940-4990 Pearl East Circle, 80301. Specifically at the back southeast corner close to the creek. Pearl East Circle is a office building complex just east of Foothills where you'll have to zig zag your way back to the SE corner. You can just look for me in a white pickup truck with a yellow raft on top of it that hauls out the trash. There shouldn't be anyone in the complex on a Saturday morning…so I should be pretty easy to find.

I hope to have around 10-12 volunteers (already have and I'm estimating that the cleanup will take 2-3 hours. Refreshments provided at the end.

Last year we hauled out 600 pounds of trash, plus several bags of recyclables.

If you would like to volunteer or have any questions PM me or give a call at 303-499-6988.

Thanks for reading!

sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
How did this go for you?

i was out of town or certainly would have helped out. Could you actually float a raft down it at that flow?

Do you still fork as the city arborist? Any chance of organizing a cleaning (cutting) mission for the stretch down to 75th? I assume it is mostly private land...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #3
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
hey dave-

yeah...i thought you might be the only person from boulder who might consider donating a little time! fortunately i shamed several of my friends into helping and we cleaned up 960 pounds of several bags of recycling! we floated it all out on my friends super puma, which does the job very nicely actually.

anyway...yes i'm still here with the forestry division. 55th to 75th is going to be a lot of OSMP and private property. both extremely hard to coordinate with! i think as far as limbing trees it is OSMP policy to leave it go natural...including dangerous situations. Anything in side of city limits is either OSMP, CU, private and some City Parks. anything actually in the water or looming to fall is taken care of by Public Works / Floodways Maintenance...#303-413-7162.

i've never floated from 55th to 75th...i've fished parts of it out by sawhill i'm not sure what it looks like. i don't think i'm the man to do all that coordinating. Right now i'm swamped with diseased black walnuts, mountain pine beetle and other urban forestry crap.

but we did have fun wading around in the creek finding various treasures! had some PBR's stashed 2/3 of the way through to keep the morale high. next year i'll be sure to personally invite you.

sofia is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek