Old 11-30-2005   #1
early trip report

Hey ALL,
I would'nt even post this if you buzzards wern't lettin me down with some boring ass threads about pool sessions and arguing about Yeti's ratings.Havn't gotten in any challenging boating yet,but it's coming together soon.The Pacific slope of Guatemala is pretty much dried up already and arranging a trip with outfitters was an expensive pain in the ass,they did however hook me up with a dude in Antigua who has70 1st d's ,mostly in Guat . and Honduras and afew in Belize,El Salvador ,and Chiapas.He was glad to boat with me ,but busy so I bolted to Livingstone on the Carribean coast for a big Garifuna festival,partied my ass off.Paddled out to check out Siete Altares with a rasta sea kayaker,this shit is really hard to catch,only after it rains,I missed it by 2 days.They are a series of falls that drop right into the sea,none of them are too big but there are some seriously backcut ledges,logs,and wierd terminal looking potholes.I don't think they've been run ,at low medium flows all but the last one would probably be excellent IV drops requiring precise lines to avoid serious cosequences.At high flows this would be video worthy stuff.It made for a good paddle ,hike , and diving off a 12 ft .boof flake into a deep pool.
Currently in Belize,have hit the Mopan twice,it's only 2 - 3 but lots of catch on the fly play,I've done it lots of times before but this is the best water level so far,one drop that is a ledge about 4 or 5 feet tall with a right angle in it that i nomally take the hero line and boof over a small trashy hole at low water,was washed out but instead foms a wave 40-50 feet wide and 5 or 6 feet tall is fuckin' sweet though tough to attain.It rained hard last night I am going again today,the guy from Antigua is coming up tonight so we should be going off soon.Also got some contact info about an american boater exploring for the U of Belize,more later
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote