Old 04-26-2012   #1
Moab, Utah
Early season Eagle River info

the gage at edwards is above 400, can anyone local report on the water clarity from edwards to wolcott? is it clear enough to fish, or off color already?

also, can anyone report whether the Wolcott BLM campground and ramp has been opened? i heard that last year that they would not open the gate from Hwy 6 early, but i don't recall if the date was 4/15 or 5/15. is the gate open, and the boat ramp below trestle useable? thanks in advance.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #2
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
water clarity is now doing pretty good, i am sitting in a rain storm right now so i imagine that it will be dirty again for the next few days. the gate is still closed as far as i know (i was there last week) but the water is up and looks great! time to Boat, get it while it lasts

JTB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #3
Avon, Colorado
campground is OPEN....
Powdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #4
Outdoor Recreation
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
BLM Wolcott Recreation Site is open

The BLM Colorado River Valley Field Office opened our Wolcott Recreation Site last Friday, three weeks earlier than our normal opening date. The BLM was able to do this by bringing back our seasonal staff a little early to accomodate the earlier season this year. However, since we do not have our full staff on yet, the BLM would appreciate any assistance with litter/trash pick-up and toilet paper stocking until May 15th, at which time we will be able to provide regular public services. Thank you.
BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #5
Moab, Utah
Thanks BLM

good to hear the ramp is open. is this something that BLM operations might consider every year? the stretch above the ramp from edwards to wolcott will generally float fish at flows of 400+, so those of us who like to fish the pre-runoff appreciate using this ramp. this is especially true given that the milk creek confluence just below the ramp typically makes the river very off-color in early season, so floating to eagle doesn't add much to the fishing.

looks like the rain and warm weather spiked the flows, so i probably won't be looking to fish it this w/e. i will bring a roll or two of TP to leave at the sh!t house if i make it next week. thanks for the local info, later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #6
Outdoor Recreation
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Our staffing depends on Congressional budget delegations, and sometimes (like in 2011), Congress may not pass a budget even by April or May. Therefore, it is really hard to determine if we have the money to hire staff to perform the maintenance needs at our BLM sites for the future. Or, if we will have the money to extend our staff's length of service.

However, the BLM is aware that the public would like to see the ramp opened earlier for the future and are trying to look at creative options to make this possibility a reality in the future.

We appreciate any help we can get to make this site as clean and useful as possible. Thank you!

BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote