Old 03-23-2006   #1
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Eagle River Water District Board Election

Hello Buzzards. For those of you who are voters in Eagle County, please read the following. I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but please consider voting for Ian for ERWSD board. He is a former raft guide, an experienced kayaker and rafter. He has also been involved in developing local play parts and recreational water rights legislation and (I believe) has been a speaker at the state capitol in favor of RCID.

As water becomes more and more scarce in Colorado, it will be important that we vote for these types of positions at the local and state level.

Please see below for more info:

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Benjamin Franklin once said, “when the well is dry, they know the worth of water.” In Colorado, and especially here in the Vail Valley, most of us know that water is our most important natural resource. Whether it’s the snow we ski and snowboard on, the water we irrigate our golf courses with or the water we drink from our taps, our water is our lifeblood.

From Vail to Wolcott, the critical decisions about how and where to sanitize our water, store it and allocate it for both current and future uses are made by the Eagle River Water & Sanitation District. On May 2, voters will elect five directors for the ERW&SD. I am asking for your vote to represent District 5 as a director for the ERW&SD. I believe that I posses the necessary experience, commitment and perspective needed to be an effective director.

First of all, I understand the importance of recreational water use in our community. I spent numerous years working as a local raft guide and kayak instructor on the Eagle, Arkansas and Colorado rivers. These days, despite my desk job, I still try and get out on the river as often as possible and I’m looking forward to a great runoff this spring.

Working at the Vail Valley Chamber & Tourism Bureau, I was part of a group that proposed the construction of the Vail Whitewater Park. Six years later, I’m working closely with the Town of Vail once again to investigate opportunities to improve the Vail park. I’ve also provided counsel to the Town of Avon on their planned whitewater park. I’ve testified both in water court and in the state legislature in favor of recreational water rights because of my work on local whitewater parks.

I’ve also served on several volunteer boards in our community providing me with valuable experience in the board-decision making process. I am currently a member of Vail’s Commission on Special Events and I am a founding board member of First Descents, a Vail-based kayak camp for young adults with cancer.

I have lived in the Vail Valley for ten years and I’ve owned a house in Eagle-Vail for six years. I’m getting married to a wonderful woman in just over a week and we’re both looking forward to starting and raising our family in this community. I believe the people and the natural surroundings of the Vail Valley combine to create an unequaled quality of living for its residents. I want to ensure that quality remains unblemished for our future generations.

Water, for both consumptive and recreational uses, is critical to our quality of living in the Vail Valley. As we’re faced with rapid growth and development all around us, the allocation of our water rights can have a dramatic impact on the future of our community.

I am dedicated to protecting the quality and quantity of our local watershed and I am asking for you to support me to be a director of the Eagle River Water & Sanitation District. Feel free to contact me with any questions or feedback at

Ian Anderson
Eagle Vail

Absentee ballots for the water board election can be downloaded here: I would recommend voting by mail in this election—easier than getting to the polls on May 2!

Have a great week!

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
This should be a "sticky" topic. It would be nice to see more people read this post. Perhaps a title with "sex", "drugs" or "Texans" would help.

deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #3
Eagle County, Colorado
Sex! drugs! Texans!
Old 03-28-2006   #4
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Does he play the flute?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #5
Glenwood, Colorado

Nah, I gave up the flute and Tull years ago to become a river guide. Now I want to protect recreational water rights and our watershed quantity and quality.

Thanks for your support! Anyone who is registered to vote living from East Vail to Wolcott is eligible.

Download an absentee ballot here:

Vote early and often!

Spin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
Eagle County, Colorado
Voting is tomorrow

Added: Does anyone else know of candidates in the other districts in favor of recreational water rights?