Old 05-19-2008   #1
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Eagle river park at Avon is fun right now.

I just got back from the park in Avon and wanted to pass the word it is really fun right now. The top hole is washed out, the second is a very retentative wave/hole about three feet high and the spot at the bridge (Bob) is a good survival surfer right now. River wide and nearly ate up a raft while we were there. It is going to change quickly as the water is rising super fast. Not sure what will happen but the best guess is the wave/hole will get better before flushing and then the survival spot will be unreal. Just an FYI to stop by Avon and check it out if you are passing by on I-70.

In general it is good in the area right now. Gillman is perfect and fast approaching scary. It has handed out a few bootie beers to paddlers who will remain nameless eh.. Harley hem... and is only going to hammer harder. Dowd Chute is fun and the lower bits are good class III.

And Vail has its bladder system working. As crazy as it sounds I got to sit on Gore Creek today and custom order on demand changes to the feature as it was the first test run of the system. It appeared to work perfectly. I could not believe it really. The town invested in an inflatable bladder system that directs flow however you like in the area directly below the bridge. Even with super low water it directed water deep enough to do some moves. I think when the water comes up they are going to be able to the most ridiculous things with it.

Enjoy the water. Best I have seen in a long time. And BV was great too. The features there were awesome this past weekend as well.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #2
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
THe last feature at avon will kick your ass right now, good sticky hole/survival sise surf, but its easy if ask captain america . The chute was at five feet at 7:00 tonight, good fun. its looking to keep coming up, see you all out there!
P.S. hobie have fun in the long boat epic tomorow...

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #3
Edwards, Colorado
Yeah that last feature is a wicked one. If you do get in there and get upside down, it will let you go if you push your paddle down into the green water above your head (because you are upside down). Trust me...I did it.

Looking forward to seeing it at bigger water!

Dougie, give a call (970-471-9835) and let's boat.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote