Old 01-24-2011   #1
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Eagle Creek Questions

I have a goal to run Punch Bowl, and possibly Metlako. The question is to some of the guys that have ran Eagle Creek. What is the character of the run. Is it mainly pool drop, or big drops followed by Class V run out. It seems to be pool drop. I do not under estimate the seriousness of the run, and respect the river very much. I am just trying to get an idea of how it is. Also if anyone has suggestions of runs, and waterfalls that can help me work towards this goal feel free to share.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #2
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Awesome to hear..

Eagle Creek is certainly a pool-drop run. It's pretty much a few big drops in a creek with large, slow pools in between.

I haven't ran the length of the run but I have dropped Punchbowl. They say Punchbowl is a pretty hard hit for it's 30-35 foot height. While I wasn't injured and felt no pain after, it was a significant blasting hit.

Metlako is about the easiest of all waterfalls in it's height range. So if you want to run a big one, this one might worth considering. Like all large waterfalls though, a small error could be costly.

You park at the take-out and hike up the creek. While boaters have hiked up further, most go up four miles to Skoonichuck Falls, which is like a 35 footer immediately followed by a fifteen footer. You can see most of the drops on the hike up. It's a very beautiful and popular hike so people will stare at you like you're nuts as you make your way up the canyon.

I would suggest going to Oregon Kayaking and clicking on Creeks, then click on Eagle Creek. is among the best websites and resources the paddling community has, in my opinion.

Micah Kneidl

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #3
Farmington, Utah
Cool thanks man. Is there a good forum there that I could post on, and try to find guys that know the run to hook up with. BTW I saw a video you did on the North Fork at record flow. Good job.
Old 01-25-2011   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Skoonichuck is definitely worth the hike and there are actually some really cool gorges and a few fun rapids below there. The run is totally pool drop and in fact mostly pretty easy excluding the big drops and a few rapids. Punchbowl is a hard hit and not really worth hiking to in my opinion if you don't plan on running metlako. Pdxkayaker and Professor paddle are the two forums in the area if you're looking to hook up with paddlers
Cinnamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #5
Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
To find paddlers in the area you can contact these folks. Between them they know everyone in Hood River. All three are great paddlers too.

John Hart, owner
Todd Anderson, Pyranha Team member, sales
The Kayak Shed, Hood River
Kayak Shed | Customer Service
Scroll to the bottom of the page for contact info

Jason Schroeder, manager, also in Hood River
Kayaks For Sale | Kayaking Gear - Accessories , Apparel | Outdoorplay
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #6
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I'd get in touch the the Femme 45 girls, too. I know that Christie has run Metlako.

Femme 45 | Facebook

Christie's huck:
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #7
just go run that shit! it is sick!!!
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #8
Farmington, Utah
Yeah I messaged Christie on facebook awhile back. She was very helpful on what to expect out of Metlako, but I still need to find people to run it with. I think the resources posted on here will more than set me in the right direction. Thanks.