Old 06-10-2008   #21
Laporte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My understanding is that the sheriff understands he cannot shut the river to kayaks and canoests, but the law or whatever it is does not say anything about rafts. This could be the loop whole that the sheriff could use to shut it down to rafters both commercial and private. The "LAW" might need to be ammended to include rafts. Common sense would dictate that rafts be included with kayaks and canoes, but this is a government entity that we are talking about. Why is it that completely inexperienced people think they have the knowledge to "protect" the boating community?? Typical government thinking...if it makes more work for us then shut it down, using the guise of safety and concern for us but really they just want to push us aside and get us "out of there hair." The access issue at the Big T takeout reeks from the same foul government stinch...Laziness. Pull Your heads out of your asses, City, County and federal governments, the boating community is here to stay!!!

Jwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #22
Originally Posted by randomnature View Post
From the highway, there looks to be a river wide wave in Gypsym just before the exit. Has anyone tried boating it?
Isnt that little sur. From CRC II

thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #23
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
I don't think the so called "ban" threat was ever pointed at anyone but commercial rafting.

From the Denver Post:

"The ban would not affect single-paddler canoes or kayaks, which are protected by state law with some exceptions from safety-oriented bans. It would prohibit commercial boating on the river, which supports a healthy stable of rafting companies."
Sheriff may ban boating on swollen Eagle River - The Denver Post

A mute issue as Peak Flow seems to have passed.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #24
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by thogan View Post
I actually ran that the other day, wasnt planning on it, and I had an empty raft in tow. But it looked great, some good green, and a foampile. it didnt look like there was any eddy sercive though. to access it is an easy 2-3min walk from the git sum ponds. Give it a shot and let us know how it is!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #25
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Little sir?...

Originally Posted by thogan View Post
That thang got eddy service?

I seen it from 70 and figgered it might be nice too.

Might be nice to hit it and float on down to the new river-estaurante' there at the bridge for a marg.

PS - Sherrif Joe is a good man. Let him posture is needed to appease the public but, he'll do the right thing.

PSS - Ran from Wolcott down to rodeo on Sunday. What a beautiful under-rated section. sshhhh.

"Dying ain't much of a livin" - The Outlaw Josse Whales
cokayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #26
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Can't close it to us

That boyd dude in "People vs Boyd" is my dad, and he's not much of an internet guy, but he wants everyone to know he got himself arrested and went to Colorado Supreme Court to make sure that no one can close the river to kayakers and canoers.
We're all good,

Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
Cheyenne posted the statue last week when this came up.

If I'm reading it correctly the Sheriff does have the authority to close the river to kayaks and rafts if he deems it to be "hazard to human life or safety". But then again when is a river not a hazard to human life or safety?

I think that they should stress the use of caution and only those who are advanced and confident in their skills should use the river at this time. Although who am I to talk, I'm just the woman who needed to be rescued a few weeks ago. I just started the rescue season off.

This is statue he posted in this thread:

There is a Colorado State statue that limits when an agency can close a river to kayaks and multi-chamber rafts.

33-13-111. Authority to close waters.
Statute text

(1) (a) The board shall promulgate rules to prohibit the operation of vessels on any waters of the state and ordering the removal of vessels from any waters of the state when such operation constitutes or may constitute a hazard to human life or safety.

(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "vessels" shall not include whitewater canoes and kayaks except in the case of:

(I) A state of disaster emergency pursuant to section 24-32-2104 or 24-32-2109, C.R.S.;

(II) Disaster relief efforts that are underway and that may include debris removal;

(III) An accident or other emergency that occurs in or immediately adjacent to the water body;

(IV) Rescue efforts for victims that are actively underway and such efforts would be hindered by additional waterway traffic; or

(V) Active construction or transportation projects authorized under state or federal law.

(2) Any parks and recreation officer or other peace officer as defined in section 33-10-102 has the authority to enforce the provisions of this section under the rules promulgated by the board.

(3) Any person who fails to obey an order issued under this section is guilty of a class 2 petty offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars.

Source: L. 84: Entire article added, p. 904, § 2, effective January 1, 1985. L. 95: (3) amended, p. 973, § 22, effective July 1. L. 2003: (1) and (3) amended, p. 1948, § 24, effective May 22.

Am. Jur.2d. See 12 Am. Jur.2d, Boats and Boating, § 6.

Applied in People v. Boyd, 642 P.2d 1 (Colo. 1982).
t_boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #27
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Cool. Be sure to THANK your dad for all of us!!!
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #28
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
thanks for the post Tommy, I hope to see you out there soon! be sure to thank your dad, and know that is the river is ever closed you will be one of the first calls I make to join us for a float.

coyakin, the lower eagle is a great section, tons of fun and it doesnt see much action. Get it while its good.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #29
Some fat donut chomping out-of-shape self important ignoramus is going to
say what is good for me.

That's AWESOME. No wonder cops are so well thought of!

Police state=AWESOME!
blurredelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #30
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Thanks to your dad T Boyd!

Originally Posted by cokayakn View Post
PS - Sherrif Joe is a good man. Let him posture is needed to appease the public but, he'll do the right thing.
A noteworthy point

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote