Old 06-09-2008   #11
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Please, it is pronounced "Git-sum" not Gypsum. And whats wrong with a nice solo raft trip to the drywall factory?

As for the river closure, shut er' down. Im still going. Paddlers just need to use sense and be honest with thier abilities.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
They should close down Gore Canyon, Pine Creek, the Narrows on the Poudre, and all the class 5 in the state. People have taken some swims in Brown's canyon this year. Gonna have to close that. These places are all very dangerous and should be illegal to raft or kayak!

What else? Oh Seidel's Suckhole flips boats sometimes. Shut it down!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #13
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
A sherriff trying to ban private boaters is a really large bag of worms to open. I believe Eagle county tried this many years ago on Gore Creek maybe and it didn't go very well or very far.

However commercial operations is a different matter. There are other ways to skin a cat with a commercial operation than with just an outright ban... The Arkansas river for example has some 'high water' limits in place on both The Numbers and the Royal Gorge. The way it is written I believe is as 'an agreement' with the outfitters not to run above certain levels, and I believe these agreements were written with the outfitters.

One simple solution for the Lower Eagle is to take out at chambers park. A longer term solution would be to alter this river feature. There may be some legislation in place to support this already, however actually getting this type of thing done is another matter. Wouldn't it be cool to take this feature and make it into a river park, more features, friendlier features, benefit boaters, fishermen, etc... take a load off of the sherriffs mind...

Bear in mind the Sherriff has some very real concerns here that he probably dosen't have a lot of experience dealing with. He could probably use some useful and constructive input from the boating community.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Actually, I think I mis-read that statue. In the sub-sections, it says EXCEPT kayaks and whitewater canoes. I'm not a lawyer, can anyone confirm how this statue is read?

LiquidChaos (or anyone on SAR)(also again thanks for all you guys did to help me when I needed it!), I think you have a good point that you all are volunteers, so all these calls are not co$ting as much as eluded to, but it is costing time and resources. But I'm sure you and all the others are exhausted by all these. From your point of view are most of these calls ones that you should have been called or not? Maybe you are not allowed to say. Have most been people who have experience or are most newbies and tourists?

I think that there probably is more pressure on the powers that be from outside sources because of the media. I don't think that the flipped rafts with 19 swimmers would have gotten nearly as much attention had there not been 3 deaths on rivers in the days before. Well aside from the 5-6 mile swimmer, this is still bothersome that someone didn't have the common sense to get out out of the freakin! river once they realized NO ONE else was around!

I think the media is missing the boat (so to speak) by emphasizing the drama, instead of what people should be doing to stay safer - life jackets, pay attention to how the river changes in high water, SELF RESCUE, and skill level, ect.

Really, we should be sending emails to the news stations & papers asking them to cover the safety precautions the general public should take. Also they should be talking about how many people are safely using the rivers and show some of you guys alive and well enjoying the high water with all the proper gear and skill. Pointing out what is being done right and emphasizing that it is a sport - there are risks and skill needed especially at these water levels. They should stress if you don't have certain skills, health issues, or proper equipment think long and hard about going on the rivers right now. But ultimately shit happens on a river, thats a part of the the sport and the challenge.
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #15
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
I talked with some Eagle Co SAR volunteers at the Teva games the other day. They had to stop a sheriff from entering the water to retrieve random gear. He was dressed in his service uniform and had on his police issue utility belt. He was not wearing a life jacket or any white water gear.

I tend to believe that the sheriff is looking out for his boys with a closure. Right or wrong, It is up to us to help educate people on the river. If we see people doing stupid things, we need to let them know. This includes the general public in and around the river, police officers, commercial raft guides and other boaters.

Do the powers that be mandate swift water for peace officers or only firefighter and SAR personnel?
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #16
Boulder, Colorado
I'm not a lawyer...

but my reading of the statute is that a river can be closed to kayakers only for the following:

(I) A state of disaster emergency pursuant to section 24-32-2104 or 24-32-2109, C.R.S.;

(II) Disaster relief efforts that are underway and that may include debris removal;

(III) An accident or other emergency that occurs in or immediately adjacent to the water body;

(IV) Rescue efforts for victims that are actively underway and such efforts would be hindered by additional waterway traffic; or

(V) Active construction or transportation projects authorized under state or federal law.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #17
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
A little history lesson. Back in the day when you had a choice of three plastic boats it was a favorite spring pass time for the sheriffs to close the rivers to all use during the run off. This practice came to a screeching halt when some Eagle county boaters who were attorneys called up the sheriff and said we're putting in here and were taking in out here. They were issued summons and it went to court. Judge William Jones declared that the sheriff did not have the knowledge base or skill sets to judge the river skills of white water boaters and it was the boaters constitutional right to go out and do stupid stuff. Thus the law that is now in effect came about. So if he does close the river feel free to take one for the team. By the way a declared disaster can only come from the governors office or a federal level for an act of terrorism. So I suppose you could have Vail arrested for their plot to capture all the snow in central Colorado by cloud seeding and then turning it all liquid in a bid to take over the planet.... well maybe
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #18
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Rumor has it, the sherrif has had a lesson in history and the river will remain 'open'. unless there is another series of unfortanate curcumstances there should not be any more issues with this. I heart eagle county
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #19
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Can anybody tell me if these yahoos were actually trying to run the rodeo rapid or did they just miss the takout??? And I know its been said before but wouldn't it be swell if we we had a little play park down valley.... There are more and more boaters living down here and I've heard some of them have connections and even this one guy was in a kayak video. Come on down valley boaters lets make it happen, if avon, vail and glenwood why not us?
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #20
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
More on GIT-sum

From the highway, there looks to be a river wide wave in Gypsym just before the exit. Has anyone tried boating it?

randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote