Old 09-20-2006   #11
me too!

crazy, goldcamp, I am in the same exact situation myself... I have been working in the GIS field for 10 yrs now, working for ESRI now here in Broomfield for 6 yrs, super-specialized at this point with ArcSDE and database stuff. Almost willing at this point to trash 10 yrs of work just to live outside of the front range!

GIS opportunities exist in counties, cities everywhere, but are few and far between as when someone finds a good position for the govt in a sweet place they tend to retire there! Also opportunities are out there for the Forest Service as long as you don't mind being on the cutting edge of the software.

Anyway, pm me if you want!

Nicole Wigston

nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #12

that, is if you don't mind NOT being on cutting edge of software is what i meant The fed agencies can tend to have alot of frustrating policies and procedures that can tend to prohibit leverage of new technology.
I have a close friend who worked in GIS at Mesa County and i think she liked it, though this is now about 8-12 yrs ago and i know she didn't make good money... though i'm sure that's the deal with city/county govt jobs in general.

nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #13
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I saw Eagle County advertising for GIS a while back.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for all your valuable advice

What a kick ass community we have that you can put up a post on something completely unrelated to the website itself and get so much help and support. Boating is as much about the water as it is about the camaraderie with the other people passionate about the sport. I have never experience such an accepting, fun loving, and supportive group of people. It must be something in the water.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #15
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just hang out here long enough, not every post is as supportive or useful (try the "Vail Sucks" thread for an example) as they used to be...
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #16
Bugtussle, Kentucky
Neither Mesa County or Grand Junction are hiring for GIS right now. You would have to fight me for the job anyway. The pay is a heck of a lot better than the non-profit gig that I currently have, but its a trade-off for sure.

GIS is so hot right now. Oh yeah.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #17
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
WhiteLightning is correct. Eagle County (in Eagle) was looking for GIS. But Vail Sucks, so don't move there.

There are a ton of Engineering/Surveying companies in the Eagle Valley...and tons of work if you know Softdesk-AutoCAD, which i'm sure you do.

GIS is only gonna be at governemetn/county. Survey companies- Eagle Valley Surveying, Peak Land Consultants, Alpine Engineering, Archibeque Surveying, Marcin Enginering, Eldridge Surveying, Inter-mountain....
these are just off the top of my head. There are a ton.

You could also do civil engineering with a few weeks of learning. I came into my job (have it now for 8 years) knowing nothing but chemical engineering.

Good Luck.....

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote