Old 08-08-2009   #1
Arvada, Colorado
DWB sucks!!!!

Gonna do a raft trip through confluence today (w/ cityWILD rafting) and it had to be cancelled due to lack of water!!! Now someone explain to me why there is a lack of water on the S. Platte 2days after back to back monsoon rains????And they are well aware people use the S. Platte for rec. uses, why don't they just release water on weekends when most people use the river (including tubers, rafters, kayakers)? I mean the water in chatfield isn't used for drinking water anyways (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this statement), so who says motorized crafts get priority over those of us who use a paddle to move around??? And senior water rights??? During a season like this where snow and rain has led to a very very wet year, why are they using water from the platte??? Someone explain to me all the politic bullshit behind chatfield dams water releases please.

extremekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I think they move the water during the week so they can shut it off on the weekends. That way wealthy Trout Unlimited members, who don't want to share the water with anybody else, can cast flies unmolested by pesky kayakers and rafters.

Water is the new oil in the west so think of DWB as any other Oil Company. There's no money in not selling water.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #3
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
That water is bought and paid for by people who don't rate your inconvenience very high. Had it not been bought a great deal of it would be on its way to california. The political bullshit as your outrage phrased it is due to the millions of people on the front range living in an area that cant sustain that many people on its own resources.

From DWB: "We will be reducing the Tunnel today, down to 150 cfs. We may reduce flows again tomorrow. The heavy rains yesterday have reduced demand, so we need less west slope water."
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
DWB - "...The heavy rains yesterday have reduced demand, so we need less west slope water."
Hell, at least DWB's customers are adjusting our water usage after the rain.

So this means eventually more water for the Colorado River watershed if its not needed later in the season. Maybe we'll even go into the September with Dillon Reservoir topped off. These are the conditions that many of us were praying for a few years ago during the drought when Gore/Upper C was flowing at 400 cfs, Dillong Res. looked like the Oklahoma dustbowl, and Shoshone had a whopping 800 cfs.

I remember once doing a raft race for a Greenway charity event at Confluence back in about 2002. The Platte had been flowing at about 50 cfs all through the spring (there was NO runoff that year). Farmers all the way to Julesburg were watching their crops wither. I heard Chips Barry saying that DWB had arranged for a special release of about 250 cfs for the day of the event and that after the event was done, it'd be scaled back to the original flow. That day they were putting their money where their mouth was and sending water down to support urban river restoration.

Every time I see those trucks with the DWB logo and "Conserve" or DWB yard signs that say "Use only what you need" I think about how they have recently been in dire financial straits because so many people had done just that. They still have "Conserve" on the logo, still are pushing conservation all over the metro area.

There are going to be times where we'll benefit from what DWB does, and where we don't. Like a few years ago coming out of the drought when they did a recreational release out of Dillon over Labor Day weekend. At least they provide info on releases.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yes they DO SUCK... water out of its basin of origin.

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #6
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Funny shit.

Someone from arvada who couldn't likely live there at all if it wasn't for DWB, complaining about DWB.

Go find a real river, other than that stink ribbon that flows through Denver!! I can't believe people paddle that thing on purpose.
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think they saw ExtremeKevin coming and turned it off.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote