Old 08-19-2012   #11
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I did my first dutch oven dessert cobbler this weekend. It was the cherry peach yellow cake someone recommended. Comments/observations:

1) anodized aluminum is IMO the ONLY way to go. Lightweight and smooth inner surface was easy to clean without soaking etc

2) the yellow cake peach cherry cobbler was good and served a ton of peeps and was easy to make but left me wanting for something better. The ingredients were expensive (even for winco) and i thought a specialized crumb crust (butter and sugar based) would have tasted better. Next time gonna experiment with something that requires more prep but is cheaper to make (and less cans)

3) gonna try my wives Bbq pan pizza sometime. It uses a cornmeal based bread for the crust and toppings get premade on the frying pan

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
My favorite do dessert is a cobbler made with a "crumb cake" mix and a can of berries. Pack along some yogurt for topping and wow!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #13
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I premake a lot of stuff before leaving the house and use it to reheat or bake things. My favorite is DO enchiladas! Plus if your scared of running your no stick seasoning use DO liners...I love them. You can flip the lid and make perfect pancakes too! Cast iron rules. If you don't have a DO....your missing out on a big part of river side food!!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #14
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Dutch ovens are for more than just cooking, I've taken mine to bed with me! On a cold, wet Deso trip, when I lost the zippers on my rain fly and tent door, I put rocks heated in the coals of the firepan inside the ovens. I left the lids ajar and draped my sleeping bag over them. They stayed nice and warm while I dozed off. I'm very fond of them.
I have to say that I am very found of my rocks also.

If you are taking 2-5 hours for a dutch oven meal on the river then you are doing it wrong. I can do DO lasagne in 1 1/2 hours. 45 min. prep, and 45 minutes cook.
Desserts should take 1 hour including prep.
Aluminum is the best way to go.

You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote