Old 06-02-2012   #1
Durango, Colorado
Durango's Sickbird loop

I'm looking to get ahold of Forest Noble, if anybody can help out with that.
The original CRC description of Boulder's Sickbird loop provided inspiration for me to try one locally, except its dubbed a Durango Hat Trick. Anyway, our hat trick was: Vallecito in the morning. Mt bike ride @ Twin Buttes (1:45 minutes), and then climb the Watch Crystal Crack @ East Animas.
Its nowhere near the caliber of Boulder's Sickbird Loop, but it s fun and its local.
So...if Forest Noble is out there, and would like to try the Durango Hat Trick (or anybody else for that matter), give a shout. And thanks for the inspiration.

DES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
I believe you can find him under the user name ''deforrested'' here.....

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sounds like a cool mission. Seems like the beauty of the sickbird is it forms a complete loop though. It would be better if they could replace the road biking with mountain biking. I believe Gordon Banks was also a Sickbird founder. Think Forrest is on some sickbird Cali first D right now. Good to know you can get old without getting wise.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Its good to hear that the sickbird loop is inspiring some other climber/boaters. Since Forrest is in Cali at the moment and since I'm the only one who has joined him on the sickbird loop for the last two years I thought I'd offer my two cents. Forrest and I have discussed other "sickbird" options before but there are two things that make the loop unique and that we've sought to preserve in any other "sickbird" ideas. One is that the "loop" is preserved - you start and finish in the same place with no motorized assistance. Second that the loop is so exhausting that you would struggle to finish it in one day. Therein lies the real challenge - both times we've completed the loop it's been a dawn to dusk affair. (It must be said that last year we didn't ride bikes and just completed the climbing and kayaking portions (still took us all day). The other beauty of the sickbird loop is that you end up boating eldo (quite possibly the hardest section of whitewater) at dusk totally shattered which adds to the challenge and excitement. We've tried to come up with some ideas in RMNP involving the Big South or North St Vrain but they've all become too ambitious and unlikely to be completed in a day. I personally would like to ditch the biking and run instead. Have fun on the Hat Trick and come join us on the Sickbird next time it comes in. If you can climb 5.11 and run class V - you're there!
oliverdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #5
Durango, Colorado
Right on! Thanks for the 2 cents, and the invite. If the timing is right, and I'm on the Front Range, I'll look you up.
We definately lack the "loop" feature down here, thus naming it simply a Hat Trick. But, its good to hear you guys are still throwin down still.
The goal right now is to step up the "sickbird" factor of the Durango Hat Trick. Its nowhere near the burl factor of the Loop, but it can certainly be improved upon. Creativity is key, and finding able and willing partners can be difficult...but, tis the season.
Maybe some day I can try the real Sickbird Loop...
Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. It always starts with just an idea.
DES is offline   Reply With Quote